Actually, that's slightly inaccurate. This blog is an extension to an entirely wordless blog that I have maintained for just over a year now.
Previously, I simply posted downloadable links to music, the links sorted by date. For the few who I shared this with, it was a musical potluck. And not very practical. Now, the playlists are properly archived here with a song list and my description of the music.
I have made these mixes, once a week, for over 5 years. They are named by the date--the Thursday of any given week. So this year, in 2009, in addition to throwing up a new one each week I am posting older ones, in calender order.
To download the playlist, simply click on any of the blue song titles or artist names at the end of each entry. Then the folder of all of that week's songs will be on your computer in a minute. Drag them into i-Tunes or any other mp3 interface and you're good to go.
These playlists are a hobby and perhaps an obsession. As someone who grew up making mixtapes for friends, then mix CDs, I wanted a way to share music with people I care about.
Further, as my collection of music has grown to an obscene size, creating these virtual or digital mixtapes is a way for me to organize what I have.
Because the aggregate collection of these songs, over the course of 5 years, represents the very best of what I have collected--songs I want easily accessible for regular listening.
I never repeat the exact same version of a song once it's made a playlist, and each playlist is crafted to just fit onto a standard 80 minute CD. I need something time-wise to work against. It's a lot easier than trying to fit the side of a cassette tape.
Over the years, my musical tastes have grown and the pressure of putting together a good mix each week for 5 years has forced me to continue to find music that I am inspired by.
So with this blog, each dated playlist, new and old, will get something akin to personal liner notes here.
Why? Because I must say without an ounce of false humility that I am not a music journalist nor do I aspire to be one. Additionally, I am not at all schooled in music. I do not have the background or technical vocabulary to lend any insight into the music I love.
You will learn nothing from me, I promise.
Many friends mistakenly introduce me as someone who "knows a lot about music"--when I do not at all.
I am simply a passionate music enthusiast. And I have always enjoyed sharing that with friends.
The most exciting thing for me, and I hope for you, is discovering stuff you never knew you'd like. I hope this blog can help you do that. Sampling some of these incredible artists might inspire you to explore more of their work.
So, without further explanation or apology, let me begin with my first two posts of playlists dated on the first day of the year.