Thursday, February 11, 2010

02-11-10: She'll Build You Up Just To Put You Down

Lou Reed wrote "Femme Fatale" for The Velvet Underground with the intention of performing the lead vocal. Yet, it was decided that Nico would sing it. As he still lives across the street from me, I should ask him how that sits with him. Regardless, on this week's mix I've included the original Nico-sung version along with a rare live Velvets version with Lou as the lead singer. I'm surprised there aren't more covers of this song: here I've included the 80s b-side by R.E.M. as well as an acoustic demo version of Big Star's cover.

Other songs that repeat on here include both the standard and undubbed versions of Buddy Holly's "Because I Love You" as well as "Green Onions": the original Booker T. & The MG's hit and a Latin-tinged cover by Jack Costanzo and Gerrie Woo.

The rest: the Phil Spector production "He's Sure The Boy I Love" by The Crystals, a frantic remix of "Wanted Dead Or Alive" by Kool G. Rap, the spooky "I Am The Walrus" by The Beatles, the swaggering "Dirty Money" by Clipse, the melodic "Johnny Too Bad" by The Slickers, the menacing "Brooklyn's Finest" by Jay-Z with The Notorious B.I.G., the 12" version of Rick James' funky "Super Freak", the cautionary "Blonde Women" by Marlene Dietrich, Patti Smith's passionate version of the rock standard "Gloria" originally by Van Morrison and Them, Marvin Gaye's melancholic "Flyin' High (In The Friendly Sky)', a cover of Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On" by Richie Havens, Jim Croce's sweet "I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song" and John Coltrane's majestic version of the standard "You Don't Know What Love Is".

He's Sure The Boy I Love The Crystals