"He'll Have To Go" was first recorded by Jim Reeves and soon became a pop country standard. The Elvis Presley cover also included here was the very last song he recorded. Other covers on this week's mix include a reggae version by Raphael Stewart & The Hot Tops, a studio outtake by a Keith Richards-led Rolling Stones and another by Solomon Burke.
Solomon recently passed away en route to a concert, and much of this mix is dedicated to his music. In addition to "He'll Have To Go", I've included his recent version of the standard "None Of Us Are Free" as well as his hits "Cry To Me" and "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love". I've also included a cover of the latter by The Rolling Stones, as well as two versions of their Exile On Main Street track "All Down The Line", the album version and a rare acoustic demo. Stones-related songs here are rounded out by three covers: Gabor Szabo's instrumental version of "Paint It Black", Bobby Darin's version of "Back Street Girl" and a cover of their standard "Wild Horses" by The Sundays.
The mix is bookended by Merle Haggard's outlaw anthem "I Take A Lot Of Pride In What I Am": the original and a jaunty cover by Dean Martin.
The rest: a mash-up of The Clash's "This Is Radio Clash" and Biz Markie's "This Is Something For The Radio" by dj BC called "This Is Radio Biz", the defiant "I Ain't Got The Love (Of One Girl On My Mind)" by The Ambassadors, Lil Wayne with Drake on the oddly romantic "With You", the dusty soul obscurity "Your Smallest Wish" by 21st Century LTD, the sly "Back Up Plan" by Big Boi, the television theme "Green Acres" by Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor, an acoustic home recording of "Nobody Told Me" by John Lennon.