Thursday, January 20, 2011

01-20-11: I'm Like A Dog, I Never Speak But I Understand

This week's mix features a few songs that repeat. "Bumming Around" was a hit for future sausage mogul Jimmie Dean and was also covered by Dean Martin. The version of the early Randy Newman song "So Long Dad" here by Nilsson includes a little loose studio chatter. Both Van Morrison's "If I Ever Needed Someone" and T. Rex's "Broken-Hearted Blues" are on here as both album and rare acoustic demo versions.

The rest: the driving "Life During Wartime" by Talking Heads, the martial "General Patton" by Big Boi, Elmore James' anguished "Talk To Me Baby", Jay-Z's defiant "Never Change", the moody "Medley - Ike's Rap II/ Help Me Love" by Isaac Hayes, the mellow "Sweet Exorcist" by Curtis Mayfield, the soul singer homage "Don't Take Your Love From Me" by Third Guitar, Otis Redding's plaintive "My Lover's Prayer", Bruce Springsteen's haunting "The River", Neil Young's wistful "Too Far Gone", the chipper "In Acapulco" by Georgia Gibbs, the funky "Cutie Pie" by One Way, the melodic "Never Gonna Change" by Freeway & Jake One, a cover of David Bowie's "God Knows I'm Good" by Danny Michel and a cover of The Beatles' "You Never Give Me Your Money" by Sarah Vaughan.

Life During Wartime Talking Heads