Thursday, June 9, 2011

06-09-11: Sometimes I Wonder What I'm A Gonna Do

This week's mix is bookended with two versions of Van Morrison's "Madame George": a loose early version with back-up singers and the gentler album version from Astral Weeks.

"Gamblin' Bar Room Blues 2" is an alternate version of the Jimmie Rodgers song. Also on here are covers of the original by John Mellencamp and Primal Scream.

"Summertime Blues" was a hit single by twenty year old Eddie Cochran in 158, two years before he died. This week's mix also includes covers by T. Rex and Joan Jett & The Blackhearts.

The rest: the swaggering "Jimbrowski" by The Jungle Brothers, the tender "Baby It's You" by Curtis Mayfield, the witty "Feel Me" by Lil Wayne, a more stripped down alternate version of "Dedicated Follower Of Fashion" by The Kinks, the Fat Albert show theme sampling "Early To Rise" by Nice & Smooth, Doris Troy's lusty "Just One Look", a live version of The Beatles' "Dear Prudence" by Jerry Garcia, the mellow "That's How I Feel" by Sun Ra and a live version of the obscure standard "The Desperate Ones" by Nina Simone.

Madame George (early ver) Van Morrison