Friday, August 12, 2011

08-11-11: The Older The Grape, The Sweeter The Wine

Bobby Womack wrote "Trust Me" for his friend Janis Joplin, and played acoustic guitar on the version she recorded for her last album. Several years later, he recorded it himself. This week's mix features both of those versions as well as a cover by Jackie De Shannon.

Slim Harpo's "Got Love If You Want It" is also featured this week with covers by The Kinks and Bob Dylan to accompany the original.

One other songs repeats: the early Tom Waits song "I Hope I Don't Fall In Love With You" with a cover by Emilian Torrini as well as a demo version of the original.

The rest: the aptly-titled "Start Me Up" by The Rolling Stones, the brassy "I Seen Your Boyfriend" by Get Fresh Girls, the gloriously noisy "Treats" by Sleigh Bells, a cover of Stevie Wonder's "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" by Diana Ross & The Supremes with The Temptations, the Timbaland-produced "Hola Hovito" by Jay-Z, the rarely heard original version of the Michael McDonald hit "I Keep Forgettin' (Every Time You're Near)" by Chuck Jackson, the peaceful "Cocoon" by Bjork, the Bruce Springsteen B-side "Janey Don't You Lose Heart", the ambivalent "Ultimate Flow" by Clipse and the exuberant "Spirits Rejoice" by Albert Ayler performing live at The Village Vanguard.

Start Me Up The Rolling Stones