Sunday, May 22, 2016

12-12-13: If I Buy The Bread, I Can't Afford The Wine

"I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me" is a standard from 1926. More than twenty recordings of it were made in the first 16 years since it was published, including Billie Holiday's 1938 version. This mix includes that version and two much later versions by Frank Sinatra in 1960 and Dean Martin the following year.

The Sundowners were a Chicago country bar band from the 60s and 70s. Their version of Merle Haggard's "Sidewalks Of Chicago" is featured here with Brook Benton's country soul cover to accompany the original.

One other Merle Haggard song repeats this week: "Life In Prison", his original version as well as a cover by The Byrds with Gram Parsons singing lead vocals.

The rest: the soul ballad "This Must Be Love", Ruth Brown's chipper "This Little Girl's Gone Rockin'", the wise "Hand Of Fate" by The Rolling Stones, the early 80s funk of "Let's Groove" by Earth, Wind & Fire, Egyptian Lover's historic-minded "Egypt, Egypt", Don Blackman's funky "You Ain't Hip", the skeletal "I Got Rhythm" by The Brothers, Peter Gabriel's sly "Sledgehammer",  El-P & Killer Mike's Run The Jewels track "Get It", Jose Feliciano's cover of Stevie Wonder's "Blame It On The Sun", Stevie's cover of The Temptations' "My Girl", Hayes Shepherd's alias The Appalachia Vagabond with "The Peddler And His Wife", the Nashville demo of Hank Williams' "I'm Going Home" and a cover of Merle Haggard's "Sing Me Back Home" by The Everly Brothers.

This Must Be Love                                                  Solid Solution
Sidewalks Of Chicago                                             Brook Benton
Life In Prison                                                           Merle Haggard
I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me         Billie Holiday
This Little Girl's Gone Rockin'                                Ruth Brown
Hand Of Fate                                                           The Rolling Stones
Life In Prison                                                           The Byrds
Sidewalks Of Chicago                                             The Sundowners
I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me         Frank Sinatra
Let's Groove                                                             Earth, Wind & Fire
Egypt, Egypt                                                            Egyptian Lover
You Ain't Hip                                                           Don Blackman 
I Got Rhythm                                                           The Brothers
Sledgehammer                                                         Peter Gabriel
Get It                                                                        El-P & Killer Mike
Blame It On The Sun                                               Jose Feliciano
My Girl                                                                    Stevie Wonder
I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me        Dean Martin
The Peddler And His Wife                        The Appalachia Vagabond
I'm Going Home (Nashville Demo)                        Hank Williams
The Sidewalks Of Chicago                                     Merle Haggard
Sing Me Back Home                                              The Everly Brothers