Wednesday, July 27, 2016

01-02-14: My Face Is A Thousand Lipstick Flavors

"Je Suis Venu Te Dire Que M'en Vais" is a Serge Gainsbourg ballad from 1973. This mix, the first of a year's batch of weekly mixes, features the full version as well as 1979 version by Jo Lemaire & Flouze and a live version in English by Okkervil River released in 2007.

"The Last Time I Saw Paris" is a standard written by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein II in 1940 that won an Academy Award the following year. This mix features a space-age instrumental version by Ferrante & Teicher from 1958 as well as Noel Coward's 1941 version and Dean Martin's 1962 version.

One other song repeats this week. "Buttercup" was written and recorded in 1974 by Stevie Wonder for a planned album with The Jackson 5. Stevie also played all the instruments and seemed to help guide Michael Jackson's lead vocals. The album never came to be. This mix also has a version by Carl Anderson recorded in 1982.

Most songs attributed to the movie star Rita Hayworth were actually sung by other people. The one notable exception is here, with the slow version of "Put The Blame On Mame", which she performed with acoustic guitar in the 1946 early film noir Gilda.

The rest: the master vocal take of Bob Dylan's "Sooner Or Later (One Of Us Must Know)", the feral "Down On The Street" by The Stooges, the ferocious "If I Was A Cop" by Tim Dog, MF Doom's free associative "Microwave Mayo", Vivien Goldman's spacy "Her Story",  Run-D.M.C.'s guitar-driven "Can You Rock It Like This", DMZ's frenetic EP version of "Busy Man",  Bruce Springsteen's dramatic "Back Streets", Marah's folksy take of Springsteen's "Streets Of Philadelphia", the spooky "The Girl On Death Row" by Lee Hazelwood with Duane Eddy and Jeff Buckley's version of Bob Dylan's "Just Like A Woman".

One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later) (master vocal take)        Bob Dylan
Down On The Street                                                               The Stooges
If I Was A Cop                                                                        Tim Dog
The Last Time I Saw Paris                                  Ferrante & Teicher
Microwave Mayo                                                                   MF Doom
Buttercup                                                                                The Jackson 5
Je Suis Venu Te Dire Que Je M'en Vais             Serge Gainsbourg
The Last Time I Saw Paris                                                     Noel Coward
Her Story                                                                                Vivien Goldman
Je Suis Venu Te Dire Que Je M'en Vais             Jo Lemaire & Flouze
Buttercup                                                                                Carl Anderson
Can You Rock It Like This                                                    Run-D.M.C.
Busy Man (EP ver)                                                                 DMZ
I Came Here To Say I'm Going Away                                   Okkervil River
Backstreets                                                             Bruce Springsteen
Streets Of Philadelphia                                                          Marah
The Last Time I Saw Paris                                                    Dean Martin
The Girl On Death Row                           Lee Hazelwood w/ Duane Eddy
Put The Blame On Mame (slow ver)                                    Rita Hayworth
Just Like A Woman                                                              Jeff Buckley