Tuesday, January 31, 2017

04-10-14: Everybody's So Different, I Haven't Changed

"Be My Baby" was a 1963 single that later appeared on the 1964 debut album of The Ronettes, produced by Phil Spector. A previous mix featured John Lennon's version. This mix features the original as well as covers by The Searchers and Cissy Houston.

"Me And My Shadow" is 1927 song originally recorded by Whispering Jack Smith. This mix features that version as well as versions by Judy Garland in 1957 and Peggy Lee in 1969.

"Things Go Better With Coke" is a 1960s ad slogan that an ad executive got stars of the era to sing. This mix includes versions by The Everly Brothers, Roy Orbison, Ray Charles and Otis Redding. Additionally here is another Coke jingle "It's The Real Thing" by Jackie DeShannon.

Both "When They Remember" by Freeway and "Can It All Be So Simple" by Wu-Tang Clan sample the live medley "The Way We Were/Try To Remember" by Gladys Knight & The Pips.

Little Richard's "I Don't Know What You Got, But It's Got Me" was written by Don Covay and features a young Jimi Hendrix.

The rest: the full album version of "Life's Been Good" by Joe Walsh, the sprightly "Cet Air La" by France Gall, Sir Menelik's mellow "7XL" with Grand Puba and Sadat X, the sweet "Heaven" by Ruth Copleand with Daryl Hall, the morose ""(I'm Cryin' 'Cause I Know) I'm Losing You" by Cliff Edwards, the funky "Will You See Me Tonight" by Zafra Bros., the soul parody "No One Can Love" by Bill Cosby and Harry Nilsson's wistful "Remember (Christmas)".

Life's Been Good (full album ver)                        Joe Walsh
Be My Baby                                                          The Ronnettes
Things Go Better With Coke                                The Everly Brothers
Cet Air La                                                              France Gall
7XL                                      Sir Menelik ft. Grand Puba & Sadat X
Heaven                                     Ruth Copeland ft. Daryl Hall
When They Remember                                          Freeway
Things Go Better With Coke                                 Roy Orbison
(I'm Cryin' "Cause I Know) I'm Losing You        Cliff Edwards
Me And My Shadow                                             Judy Garland
Be My Baby                                                          The Searchers
It's The Real Thing                                                Jackie DeShannon
Can It All Be So Simple                                        Wu-Tang Clan
Will You See Me Tonight                                      Zafra Bros.
No One Can Love                                                  Bill Cosby
Things Go Better With Coke                                Ray Charles
Me And My Shadow                                            'Whispering' Jack Smith
Be My Baby                                                            Cissy Houston
I Don't Know What You Got, But It's Got Me        Little Richard
Things Go Better With Coke                                   Otis Redding
Me And My Shadow                                              Peggy Lee
The Way We Were/Try To Remember (live)         Gladys Knight & The Pips
Remember (Christmas)                                           Harry Nilsson