"Shack Up" is a 1975 funk single by Banbarra, who quickly disappeared into obscurity. It was most famously covered by Manchester post-punk band A Certain Ratio in 1980. That version appeared on a previous mix. This mix features the original with covers by 70s Filipino funk band Blackbuster and Nouvelle Vague.
"I'll Be Home" is a Randy Newman song that first appeared on Harry Nilsson's 1970 album Nilsson Sings Newman, but wasn't recorded for the studio by Newman until his 1977 album Little Criminals. In the several years in between it was recorded by many artists. This mix includes both these versions as well as a cover by Lorraine Ellison.
One other song repeats this week: Sun Ra's early single with The Cosmic Rays called "Somebody's In Love", released in 1955. This week includes a cover by Yo La Tengo from 60 years later.
"Right Start" is an unfinished outtake from the 1980 Talking Heads album Remain In Light. It eventually evolved into "Once In A Lifetime", itself influenced by the new genre of rap, and sampled on Jay-Z's 1998 collaboration with Memphis Bleek from the movie Streets Is Watching.
The rest: Ted Taylor's forlorn "Houston Town", Lake Street Dive's cover of Hall & Oates' "Rich Girl", Jimmy Reed's violent "I'm Going Upside Your Head", the funky "C'mon Wit Da Git Down", Syl Johnson's yearning "I'm Talkin' 'Bout Freedom", Ice Cube proteges Da Lench Mob with 1992's "Freedom Got An A.K.", Don Covay's "We Can't Make It No More" from his 1975 album Hot Blood, a cover of New Order's "Age Of Consent" by The Golden Filter, David Bowie's rare French version of "Heroes", Buddy Holly's bittersweet "That Makes It Tough", Leon Thomas' cover of Stevie Wonder's "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life" and tehe early Kinks demo "There's A New World Just Opening For Me".
Somebody's In Love Sun Ra & The Cosmic Rays
Shack Up Banbarra
Right Start (unfinished outtake) Talking Heads
It's Alright Jay-Z
Houston Town Ted Taylor
I'll Be Home Harry Nilsson
Rich Girl Lake Street Drive
I'm Going Upside Your Head Jimmy Reed
Shack Up Blackbuster
C'mon Wit Da Git Down Artifacts
I'm Talkin' Bout Freedom Syl Johnson
Freedom Got An A.K. Da Lench Mob
We Can't Make It No More Don Covay
I'll Be Home Randy Newman
Age Of Consent The Golden Filter
Heros (French single ver) David Bowie
Shack Up Nouvelle Vague
That Makes It Tough Buddy Holly
You Are The Sunshine Of My Life Leon Thomas
I'll Be Home Lorraine Ellison
There's A New World Just Opening Up For Me The Kinks
Somebody's In Love Yo La Tengo