Friday, September 21, 2018

01-08-15: Please Please Please Baby Don't Die

"Stranger In The House" is a song that was left off Elvis Costello's 1977 debut album My Aim Is True. It appeared on a reissue of the album decades later but was covered in 1977 by Rachel Sweet and the following year as a duet between Costello and George Jones. This mix includes those two subsequent versions, his original version recorded with his backing band Clover and a live version with his band The Attractions in 1978.

"Ooo Baby Baby" is a 1965 single written by Smokey Robinson for his group The Miracles. Previous mixes have include the original single along with covers byLaura Nyro, San Francsico T.K.O.'s, Marianne Faithfull & Antony and a "stripped" mix of the original. This mix features covers by Linda Ronstadt, Blinky & Edwin Starr, Honey Cone and Smokey himself performing live wth his childhood friend Aretha Franklin on Soul Train.

The music of Aretha is further featured on this mix with both her demo and original version of her 1967 single "I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)", her first for the Atlantic record label as well as a cover of Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne" and a studio demo called "Are You Leaving Me".

One more song repeats this week: Otis Redding's original "Let Me Come On Home", with a cover by Hopeton Lewis & The Merritone All Stars. EPMD's "The Steve Martin" samples the Redding original.

The rest: the slow jam "BabyLet'sHaveABabyBeforeBushDoSomethin'crazy" by The Coup with Silk-E on vocals, the chipper 1957 "Crazy Billboard Song" by Long Island doo wop group The Miller Sisters, an acoustic demo of "Open All Night" by Bruce Springsteen before his 1982 album Nebraska, a cover of the Herb Alpert pop standard "This Girl's In Love With You" by Bobbi Boyle & The Trio, Joeski Love's 1986 novelty rap "Pee Wee's Dance", Noname's self-released "Ace" with Smino and Saba, and an early piano demo version of the 1977 Crosby, Stills & Nash hit "Just A Song Before I Go" by Graham Nash.

I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You) (demo)      Aretha Franklin
Ooo Baby Baby                                                                  Linda Ronstadt
Stranger In The House                                                       Elvis Costello
BabyLet'sHaveABabyBeforeBushDoSomethin'crazy       The Coup ft. Silk E
Let Me Come On Home                                                    Otis Redding
The Steve Martin                                                               EPMD
Crazy Billboard Song                                                        The Miller Sisters
Open All Night (demo)                                                      Bruce Springsteen
Stranger In The House                                                       Elvis Costello
Ooo Baby Baby                                               Blinky & Edwin Starr
Suzanne (Hey Now Hey)                                                   Aretha Franklin
This Gal's In Love With You                     Bobbi Boyle & The Trio
Let Me Come On Home            Hopeton Lewis & Merritone All Stars
Pee Wee's Dance                                                                Joeski Love
Stranger In The House                                George Jones w/ Elvis Costello
I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)                  Aretha Franklin
Ooo Baby Baby                                                                  Honey Cone
Ace                                                                         Noname ft. Smino & Saba
Stranger In The House (live)                   Elvis Costello & The Attractions
Ooo Baby Baby (live on Soul Train)       Aretha Franklin w/ Smokey Robinson
Just A Song Before I Go (demo)                                       Graham Nash
Are You Leaving Me (demo)                                             Aretha Franklin