Monday, September 30, 2019

04-23-15: Everything's In Perfect Tense

"Bye and Bye We're Going To See The King" is a spiritual standard first recorded in 1926 by Arizona Dranes, and known by alternate titles that replace the "We're" with "I'm" as well as "I Wouldn't Mind Dying (If Dying Was All)" and, in Washington Phillips' version, with different lyrics, "A Mother's Last Word To Her Daughter". A previous mix included Blind Willie Johnson's 1929 version. This mix features Blind Mamie Forehand's 1927 version, the 1928 recording by Rev. I.B. Ware with Wife and Son and a 1932 recording by The Carter Family.

"On Broadway" was written by two iconic songwriting teams: Mann/Weill and Leiber/Stoller and first recorded by The Drifters in 1963 with Phil Spector on guitar. The other hit version was released fifteen years later by George Benson. This mix includes another live version, by Gary Numan from 1979 to accompany the other two hit singles.

One other song repeats this week: two covers of The Cars' 1984 hit "Drive", by Aimee Mann and Britta Phillips. Other Cars songs on this mix include demo versions of their 1981 single "Shake It Up" and the 1982 single "Since You're Gone".

The rest: a demo version of Slick Rick's "Teenage Love", a cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" from Richie Havens' 1980 album Connections, the fierce "Welcome To The Terrordome" by Public Enemy, Hank Penny's bittersweet "The Strong Black Man", the languid "I Can Dig It Baby" by William Hale's nom de plume Little Beaver from his 1974 album Party Down, Big L's 1994 debut single "Put It On", Jorge Darden's wistful "Alone Again", a live studio cover of Big Star's "Thirteen" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Tom Waits duetting with Paul Westerberg on a rehearsal take of the Replacements' outtake "We Know The Night".

Shake It Up (demo)                                 The Cars
Teenage Love (demo)                              Slick Rick
On Broadway (live)                                 George Benson
Dreams                                                     Richie Havens
Welcome To The Terrordome                  Public Enemy
The Strong Black Man                             Hank Penny
I Wouldn't Mind Dying                            The Carter Family
I Can Dig It Baby                                     Little Beaver
Put It On                                                   Big L
On Broadway                                           The Drifters
I Wouldn't Mind Dying                            The Rev. I.B. Ware with Wife and Son
Drive                                                        Aimee Mann
Alone Again                                             Jorge Darden
Wouldn't Mind Dying If Dying Was All     Bine Mamie Forehand
On Broadway (live)                                   Gary Numan
Since You're Gone (live)                           The Cars
Drive                                                         Britta Phillips
Thirteen (live)                                           Yeah Yeah Yeahs
We Know The Night (rehearsal)               The Replacements w/ Tom Waits