Thursday, November 12, 2020

07-30-15: Did I Ever Really Care That Much?

"Storms" is a song written by Stevie Nicks for Fleetwood Mac's 1979 album Tusk. This mix collects two demo versions and covers by Matt Sweeney & Bonnie 'Prince' Billy and Camper Van Beethoven to accompany the original album version.

"I Wonder If I Care As Much" was originally a b-side to the 1957 single Bye Bye Love by The Everly Brothers, who re-recorded a much heavier guitar version in 1968. Both versions are here along with a cover in the latter version's style by Bonnie 'Prince' Billy & The Phantom Family Halo and a version recorded by Neil Young with primitive recording equipment.

The rest: an early version of Prince's "I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man", the 7 inch single version of Raydio's playful "More Than One Way To Love A Woman", hip hop duo JJ Doom's disturbing "GMO" featuring Beth Gibbons, a cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" by Infinity Song, the take 1 solo version of Bob Dylan's "A Simple Twist Of Fate", Beth Orton and M Ward's cover of Dylan's "Buckets Of Rain", a solo piano version of The Rolling Stones' "A Hundred Years Ago", Busta Rhymes' Jackson 5-sampling "Look Over Your Shoulder" with Kendrick Lamar, the sublime "Bad Boy" by The Jive Bombers and Dr. Octagon's foreboding "Black Hole Son".

I Wonder If I Care As Much                  The Everly Brothers