Tuesday, May 23, 2023

12-24-15: New Ain't Nothin' But A State Of Mind

"My Father's House" is from Bruce Springsteen's 1982 album Nebraska. It has appeared on a previous mix in this collection, this mix features versions by Emmylou Harris, Aoife O'Donovan and The Cowboy Junkies. Also here from that album, Springsteen's "Mansion On The Hill" and "Reason To Believe", along with a cover of the latter by Michael Penn and Aimee Mann.

One other song repeats on the mix: the demo and studio versions of Krist Kristofferson's "Gettin' By, High And Strange".

The I Don't Care's, here with "Hands Together", are Paul Westerberg and Julianna Hatfield.

Ka's "Decisions" samples Arthur Conley's Love Comes And Goes", both featured here.

The rest: a demo version of Joe Jackson's "Steppin' Out", Franne Golde's bittersweet "Here I Go Fallin' In Love Again", The Lovelites with cover of Little Jimmy Gandy's "I'm Not Like The Others", Freddie Gibbs and Rick Ross with the Ghostface-sampling "Ice Cream", The Donations' sweet "I'm Gonna Treat You Good", Flying Lotus' video-game-referencing "Dead Man's Tetris" with Captain Murphy and Snoop Dogg, the bouncy "I Am Very Sorry" by Kamal Ahmed with Noor Jehan, the smooth "Had I Know You Better Then" by Hall & Oates, a cover of their standard "Sara Smile" by Ronnie Dyson and the harpsichord-driven "Two Sisters" by The Kinks.