Monday, March 30, 2026

06-16-16: You Don't Have To Run And Hide Away

Tom Waits' "Long Way Home" first appeared on the soundtrack to the 2001 film Big Bad Love. He passed on this demo to Norah Jones, who released a cover of it on her second album Feels Like Home a few years later. A couple years after that, Waits released it on his album of outtakes and rarities called Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards. Both versions appear on this mix.

The rest: Bob Dylan's apocalyptic "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding", Dead Moon's reassuring "It's Ok", the frantic "I'm A Cliche" by X-Ray Spex, the yodel-heavy "I Want To Be A Cowboy's Sweetheart" by Patsy Montana & The Prairie Ramblers, a demo version of Joni Mitchell's "A Case Of You", part I of "Together" by the obscure Elements Of Peace, the airy "Easy To Love" by Leo Sayer, the Black & Blue album outtake "I Love Ladies" by The Rolling Stones, the playful "Dracula's Wedding" by Outkast with Kelis, the 7 inch version of the non-album single "Temptation" by New Order, Donna Summer's synth-driven "Lucky", a live cover of Summer's "I Feel Love" by Blondie, the satiric "Instant This Instant That" by Taste Test ft. TwinArt, Monaleo's swaggering "Putting Ya Dine", part II of "Together" by Elements Of Peace, the woozy "Cataracts" by Freddie Gibbs & Madlib, the blissful "Strung Out On Your LOve" by The Four Tops and an alternate version of "This Time Tomorrow" by The Kinks.