Tuesday, July 14, 2009

07-05-07: My Chills And Thrills And Spills

The old spiritual "This Train" anchors this mix from a couple years ago, which includes versions by Hylo Brown, Bunny Wailer, Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Bob Marley.

A bit more reggae with Killer Man Jarett's cover of Bob Marley's "War", the gorgeous "Rivers Of Babylon" by The Melodians and a pretty acoustic cover of that by Sinead O'Connor.

Other stuff: Jimi Hendrix with a live cover of The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", an extended version of Manfred Mann's Earth Band's cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Blinded By The Light", Sonic Youth's cover of Mudhoney's "Touch Me I'm Sick", Steve Carl's rockabilly "Curfew", a demo of "White Riot" by The Clash featuring an a cappella opening by Joe Strummer, Sammy Davis Jr. with a hilarious Issac Hayes cover called "John Shaft", Bruce Springsteen with a live full band version of "Blinded By The Light", an instrumental version of Jaylib's "Raw Shit", Biz Markie's juvenile "Pickin' Boogers", Freddie Scott with the obscure old soul song sampled on Biz Markie's "Just A Friend" called "(You) Got What I Need", Richie Havens' jaunty "Billy John", the posthumous collaboration between The Notorious B.I.G. and R. Kelly with Charlie Wilson called "Mi Casa", Squeeze's rhythmic "Take Me I'm Yours", and the gorgeous medley "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End" that ends The Beatles album "Abbey Road".

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (live) Jimi Hendrix