Friday, January 1, 2010

Countdown 2009

For those of you who don't want to forage through my abundant list of the "best of" 2009, this post is an even more select list of the best of the year, complete with a top 40-esque countdown. This is the top 10% of the top 10% of the year, or 1%, of all the songs posted this year. Which leaves me with my 11 favorite songs of the year.

They are posted below in order of #11 to my very favorite. So without further ado...

11. "Never Tear Us Apart" by INXS

These weekly mixes evolved from making various mixes for various friends. I couldn't keep track of what mix I made for who, and I might repeat songs and the like. I made them for friends and even by commission for ex-girlfriends who missed my music more than they missed me. This year, a girl actually made one for me, which hadn't happened in many, many years. And "Never Tear Us Apart" by INXS was on there. The song instantly brought me back to high school dances, with the dramatic strings and dramatic sentiment. But the song just works, no matter where you are in life. It reminds me of years ago, on a shoot where a preppy colleague of mine confessed to our director that his favorite band was INXS. And then the director, a picture of slightly scruffy bohemian cool, scratched his chin and said, "wow, I never met anyone who was, like a huge INXS fan before." And made the guy feel two feet tall. Truth be told, there must be millions of big INXS fans out there as this album sold millions. I know it's not cool to like them. I don't care. This song is beautiful. I asked a friend of mine with more esoteric music tastes what the appeal of the song is and his answer was simple, "It has the best opening line to a song ever." So, I listened to it again when it was on my mix. "Don't ask me what you know is true." Amen.

10. "Never Never Give You Up" by Barry White

Another entry in the "not cool" pile. I don't care. I love, love this song and was thrilled to find the longer album version for one of my mixes this year. Because near the end, Barry lets out a "shit" during his vocals. Because his song is so bad-ass, and he deserves this slight indiscretion. But more than anything, this song is hopelessly romantic and so brave because of that, a perfect companion to the INXS song.

9. "Brooklyn Go Hard" by Jay-z ft. Santogold

There were at least a couple other Jay-Z songs on the larger "best of" below that captured my fancy this year. But while everyone was reveling in the NYC anthem of the fall, they forgot about the real NYC anthem here. The backing track and Santgold's hook make it worth it alone. Jay-Z's lyrics are like verbal rope-a-dope, they seem to laze around then surprise you with their sharp wit and sting. This was a song that I played consecutive times more often than any other song this year.

8. "Excursions" by A Tribe Called Quest

I found a blog this year that took every track on A Tribe Called Quest's Low End Theory album and provided the three or four songs sampled on each one. It was fascinating to hear the pieces that make up this track because it sounds so spare and simple, but is full of great subtle detail. And of course, lyrically I don't think they've ever been better than on this one. It's tough and smart without being needlessly antagonistic or preachy. It's inspiring and addictive to listen to.

7. "What To Do (undubbed acoustic)" by Buddy Holly

I first fell in love with this song around summer of 2007, unsurely embarking on a new relationship. When I threw the full band version of the song on a mix around then, I could not have imagined how vulnerable the song would feel when I heard the newly-released acoustic version this fall. He sings with such sadness but without a hint of sentimentality. The references to soda shops and walks to school sound timeless and relevant rather than dated or immature. As I mentioned below, there is a preternatural wisdom to his work, and a perfect expression of feelings we all have. I can't exaggerate how much I love Buddy Holly's music and this version of this song is as good as it gets for me.

6. "You're A Big Girl Now" by Bob Dylan

This was a very late, but very apt, entry into the 2009 music mixes. As a huge Dylan fan, I have always had mixed feelings about the playing and arrangements on his Blood On the Tracks album, sometimes preferring other alternate bootleg versions. But I find the arrangement on here crisp and perfect for the song. His inflections rise and fall at the right time and with a blend of recrimination, sadness, tenderness and hopefulness. Like someone not quite sure they want to say goodbye, or know how to, but they're determined that they're going to say something you won't forget. God, I love this song.

5. "Just Like Honey" by The Jesus & Mary Chain

Many of my mixes this year featured different versions of the same song across the mix. Of all the songs that I did this with, "Just Like Honey" is my favorite. I had heard it before years ago when a girl I dated played their music constantly. But when I heard this earlier this year it was like hearing it the first time. I love the acoustic version below and some of the covers, but the original stands near the top of my favorite songs of the year. Just the right blend of messiness and beauty. The distorted guitars and the female back-up singing and the sometimes disturbing lyrics about "eating up the scum" and the sweet melodies, it seems to sum up the good and bad that comes with throwing your heart out there. It's such a gorgeous song.

4. "Lose Your Blues And Laugh At Life" by Jimmie Revard And His Oklahoma Playboys

There were times I heard some of the simple stray lyrics of this song, heck, even starting with the title, when I wanted to write them out and paste them on the mirror or above my computer. But as uplifting as they might be to read, they'd be missing the swinging western arrangement that just makes your heart feel happy. This is a song that just kills the blues, guaranteed. They came up with that title and in three minutes they make it come true.

3. "I'm Not Down" by The Clash

This is a great companion song to the one above. It's one of the more forgotten songs from their legendary London Calling album, yet it's another of the more rare Mick Jones-led songs and thus maybe a little more hopeful and pop-oriented. With that sped-up reggae beat, and defiant lyrics that are sweetly sung, it's so anthemic and uplifting. There were times this year when, yes, I was down, but listening to this song fixes that in a hurry. There's something comforting knowing that this song, and their music, means as much to me now as it did half a lifetime ago.

2. "Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)" by Sly & The Family Stone

Funky, weird, deep, moving, funny and wise. This version of the standard most associated with Doris Day of all people sounds like it was written by Sly & The Family Stone. I have always loved their version of this song, but this year was a perfect time for me to get reacquainted with it. That feeling of acceptance, flirting with resignation but at times veering into something close to joy, makes this such a profound and inspiring song. The playing, singing and arrangement are all perfect. I could imagine it as easily at a funeral as at a wedding. Or a really cool birthday party.

1. "Angels" (live at Village Vangaurd, 12-18-66) by Albert Ayler

When I ran through my mixes this year, and breathlessly posted up a quick write up, I kept a stubborn promise to write something about every song. Usually, I'd really only write at length about a few and then just slap a quick adjective in front of the rest. But this live version of "Angels" by Albert Ayler defies any adjective. Or encompasses too many. When I'd used those adjectives I'd often refer to a certain emotion the song evoked. Hearing this in 2009 evoked every emotion I had in what was a fairly emotional year. It's heartbreaking, romantic, beautiful, hopeful, yearning, wise, passionate, naive, tender, harsh, vulnerable and so deeply human. I want it played at my funeral. Or wedding. Or simply as a soundtrack to my heart and my life.

Never Tear Us Apart INXS