Thursday, March 4, 2010

03-04-10: Lemonade Was A Popular Drink And It Still Is

The version of Barry White's "Playing Your Game, Baby" on this week's mix is labelled on his recent box set as an "alternate", but actually it's a modern remix by his original music director and engineer. Generally, I would say don't mess with perfection, but I like how some of the percussion is brought more to the forefront and the instruments sound a little more crisp. The remix of Black Moon's "I Got Cha Opin" samples the original Barry White tune.

Given Guru's near death scare this week, I had to throw up Gang Starr's classic "DWYCK" with Nice & Smooth.

Marvin Gaye's "Got To Give It Up" was supposedly about his fear of dancing, a phobia I share. The version on here is the rare full version, nearly twelve minutes.

The rest: Peggy Lee's brassy cover of Otis Redding's "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay", the dramatic "Mount Harissa" by Duke Ellington, the subduded "Breakdown" by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Eddie Cochran's rhythmic "Nervous Breakdown", Black Flag's frantic song of the same name, the wry "19th Nervous Breakdown" by The Rolling Stones, the David Bowie-sampling "Dirty Run" by Ol Dirty Bastard, the odd "Please Don't Go Topless, Mother" by Troy Hess, the soulful "If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home By Now" by The Philadelphia Story, the mash up of "C.R.E.A.M." By the Wu-Tang Clan over instrumental covers of Beatles songs, the live "unplugged" version of "Pennyroyal Tea" by Nirvana, Leonard Cohen's somber "Famous Blue Raincoat", a cover of Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne" by Nina Simone, an acoustic version of "Love" by John Lennon and a demo version of "I Give Up" by Roy Orbison.

(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay Peggy Lee