On previous mixes, I've included covers of Stan Getz's classic bossa nova collaboration with Joao and Astrud Gilberto called "The Girl From Ipanema" by both Frank Sinatra with Joao Gilberto and Archie Shepp. On this week's mix I've included live covers by Sammy Davis Jr. and Lou Rawls as well as a version by Cher to go with the original also on here.
Pavement's "Unseen Power Of The Picket Fence" is their homage to R.E.M., who are on here with their melancholic "(Don't Go Back) To Rockville".
Ron Banks of The Dramatics passed away this week, so "Highway To Heaven" by him and them seemed appropriate.
The rest: a remix of Real Live's "Real Live Shit" with Ghostface Killah and Cappadonna teaming up with Killa Sin and Lord Tarik, early John Lee Hooker with the traditional "Moses Smote The Water", a long and slow cover of The Four Tops' "Reach Out And I'll Be There" by Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder's layered "Ordinary Pain", RZA's atmospheric "Bobby Did It (Spanish Fly)" with Ghostface Killah and Jamie Sommers among others, The Bar-Kays' Issac Hayes sequel "Son Of Shaft", Ice Cube's witty "Check Yo Self" with Das EFX, a live version of "One More Cup Of Coffee (From The Valley Below)" by Bob Dylan with The Rolling Thunder Revue, the languid "I'm Wishin'" by Lorez Alexandria, Peter Gabriel's somber cover of Paul Simon's "The Boy In the Bubble", the moody "Everything In Its Right Place" by Radiohead, Marlene Dietrich's wise "Illusions" and a live version of Paul Westerberg's purposeful "MamaDaddyDid".