"I Wish I Knew" is a jazz standard that was written by Harry Warren and Mack Gordon for a 1945 film called Diamond Horseshoe, starring Betty Grable. This week's mix features versions by Bill Evans Trio, John Coltrane Quartet, Ahmad Jamal performing live and Chet Baker both playing and singing.
Also featured on here is Hank Williams' haunting "Alone And Forsaken", including covers by Neko Case and The Mekons as well as the undubbed original.
The rest: the infectious "Why Can't We Be Friends" by War, A Tribe Called Quest's bouncy "Award Tour", the dour "My City Was Gone" by The Pretenders, Kid 'N Play's witty "Do This My Way", Wanda Dee's suggestive "The Goddess", Al Green's sensual "Love Ritual", the chugging "Born On The Bayou" by Creedence Clearwater Revival, T. Rex's ebullient "Cadillac", The Jam's harrowing "Down In The Tube Station At Midnight", an echoey demo version of "On The Wall" by The Jesus & Mary Chain, the lushly melancholic "Everything Means Nothing To Me" by Elliott Smith, the wistful "Place To Be" by Nick Drake, Diana Ross' cover of Aretha Franklin's "I Love You (Call Me)", and Jerry Butler's gorgeous "Just Because I Really Love You".