Thursday, July 1, 2010

07-01-10: I'm A Man Of No Conviction

This week's mix is bookended with both the album and acoustic demo version of "Cut Dead" by The Jesus & Mary Chain.

Also featured on here is John Lennon's "Working Class Hero": both the acoustic demo version and a cover by Richie Havens.

The rest: a cover of Culture Club's "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" by Mark Eitzel, Culture Club's sly "Karma Chameleon", the poppy "Another Nail In My Heart" by Squeeze, Stephen Malkmus' catchy "Death And The Maiden", the airy "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" by The Smiths, the spacey "Who Do You Think I Am" by MF Doom and others, a Spanish version of Smokey Robinson's "Being With You" called "Aqui Con Tigo", the rhythmic "Rastafarian Folk Song" by Cymande, Lee 'Scratch' Perry's Chi-Lites-inspired "Justice To The People", Jay-Z's witty "Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)", a mash-up of Billy Joel over Jay-Z called "Big Shot Pimpin'", Raekown's Billy Squier-sampling "Big Beat", James Brown's funky "Get Up (I Feel Like Being A Sex Machine) Pts. 1-2", the odd "Politician Rag" by King Soloman, Babtunde Olatunji's percussive "Menu Di Ye Jewe (Who Is This?)" and the anguished "All I Want Is You" by U2.

Cut Dead The Jesus & Mary Chain