"The Dark End Of The Street" was written by Muscle Schoals songwriters Dan Penn and Chips Morman in 1967. It was first recorded by southern soul singer James Carr, but quickly became both a soul and country standard. On this week's mix, in addition to Carr's recording, I have versions by Aretha Franklin, The Afghan Whigs, Frank Black and The Flying Burrito Brothers. I also have duet versions by Lee Hazelwood with actress Ann Margaret as well as a young Dolly Parton with Porter Wagoner and a live duet between Richard and Linda Thompson. Also live is a version by Eels. The Ry Cooder version is instrumental and the very rare Prince Buster version was simply titled "Dark Street".
"Samson And Delilah" by Rev. Gary Davis is an interpolation of Blind Willie Johnson's "If I Had My Way I'd Tear The Building Down".
The rest: a demo version of the Gershwin standard "Summertime" by The Zombies, the spacey "Questions" by Strong Arm Steady featuring Planet Asia & Fashawn, the hushed "Never Saw It Coming" by The Jesus & Mary Chain, the Ice Cube rant "I Ain't Tha 1" by N.W.A., Eddie Cantor's version of the early standard "They Go Wild, Simply Wild Over Me". the futuristic "Where We About To Take It" by Busta Rhymes, Gladys Knight & The Pips' version of The Temptations hit "I Wish It Would Rain", a live version of "I Threw It All Away" by Bob Dylan & The Rolling Thunder Revue and the gorgeously perfect "How Could I Let You Get Away" by The Spinners.