Thursday, April 21, 2011

04-21-11: If She's Passin' Back This Way, I'm Not That Hard To Find

"You Trip Me Up" is from the 1985 debut album by The Jesus & Mary Chain. This week's mix is bookended with the original and an acoustic demo version, and also includes a cover by The Arrogants.

"Tomorrow Night" was recorded by Lonnie Johnson in 1948. Also here are covers by Elvis Presley and Bob Dylan.

"It Doesn't Matter Anymore" was written by Paul Anka and a posthumous hit for Buddy Holly. In addition to Holly's version, I've included a recording by Linda Ronstadt.

"Brilliant Corners" is from the 1957 Thelonious Monk album of the same name, featuring Sonny Rollins on saxophone and Max Roach on drums.

"Receipt" by Lil Wayne samples "Lay Away" by The Isley Brothers.

A few versions of the country traditional "There's More Pretty Girls Than One" were featured on a mix earlier this year: this week I have a version by Woody Guthrie.

The rest: the jaunty "The Price Is Right Theme" by Sheila Cole, the funky "Inflation" by Chocolate Snow, the Jackson King-written "That's The Chance I'll Have To Take" by Waylon Jennings, the tragic "Poor Naomi Wise" by A'nt Idy Harper and The Coon Street Girls, the spacey "Bad Character" by Quasimoto, the bouncy "And The Beat Goes On" by The Whispers, Arabian Prince's 80s electro "Professor X Saga", the sweet "I Like You" by Hawaiian artist Sol Hoopii & His Novelty Quartet, the forlorn "I'm Down In The Dumps" by Bessie Smith with Buck And His Band, a cover of Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" by Brook Benton, and the official album version of Dylan's bittersweet "If You See Her, Say Hello".

You Trip Me Up The Jesus & Mary Chain