"Dedicated To The One I Love" was written by Lowman Pauling, guitarist for The Five Royales, whose original version was a minor hit in 1961. The Shirelles had a much bigger hit with the song later that year. In addition to their versions, this week's mix features versions by The Mama & The Papas, The Temprees and Laura Nyro performing live.
"Brass Buttons" appears on Gram Parsons' posthumous 1974 album Griveous Angel and was written about his mother's alcoholism. In addition to the original, this mix features versions by The Lemonheads, Poco, Denison Witmer and Johnny Rivers.
One other song repeats across the mix: Bo Diddley's "Cops And Robbers", with a rare live recording by The Rolling Stones.
The rest: the defiant "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd, the pastoral "Davy Crockett" by Chubby Parker, Gang Starr's tough "Speak Ya Clout", the bouncy "I Would Do Anything For You" by The Rhythmakers, the swinging "Images" by Sun Ra, Nine's spacey "Redrum", the chipper "Build Me Up Buttercup" by The Foundations. The Native Tongues collaboration "Doin Our Own Dang" by The Jungle Brothers, Bobby Womack's forlorn "I Can't Take It Like A Man" and the dramatic "If You Go Away" by Scott Walker.
Dedicated To The One I Love The Shirelles
Brass Buttons Gram Parsons
Sweet Home Alabama Lynyrd Skynyrd
Davy Crockett Chubby Parker
Brass Buttons The Lemonheads
Dedicated To The One I Love The Mamas & The Papas
Cops And Robbers Bo Diddley
Speak Ya Clout Gang Starr ft. Jeru The Damaja & Lil Dap
I Would Do Anything For You The Rhythmakers
Brass Buttons Denison Witmer
Dedicated To The One I Love The Temprees
Images Sun Ra
Redrum Nine
Build Me Up Buttercup The Foundations
Doin Our Own Dang The Jungle Brothers ft. Q Tip, De La Soul, Monie Love & Queen Latifah
Dedicated To The One I Love The 5 Royales
Brass Buttons Poco
I Can't Take It Like A Man Bobby Womack
Cops And Robbers (live on the BBC) The Rolling Stones
If You Go Away Scott Walker
Brass Buttons Johnny Rivers
Dedicated To The One I Love (live) Laura Nyro