Wednesday, November 14, 2012

07-19-12: I'm Only Hanging On To Watch You Go Down

"La-La (Means I Love You)"  is a 1968 single by The Delfonics written by Thom Bell, one of the architects of the 1970s Philadelphia soul sound. This week's mix features versions by The Jackson 5, Prince and Laura Nyro as well as the original.

"So Cruel" is a track from U2's 1991 album Achtung Baby. This week features a cover by Depeche Mode and an early acoustic take as well as the original.

Nas' "N.I.G.G.E.R. (The Slave And The Master)" samples "We're Just Trying To Make It" by The Persuaders.

The Girls Of The Golden West, whose "Round Up Time In Texas" appears here, were actually from Illinois.

The rest: The Wu-Tang Clan-sampling "Straight Jacket" by The Beatnuts, and Italian version of his hit "Yester Me, Yester You, Yester Day" by Stevie Wonder titled "Solo Me, Solo Me, Solo Noi", the funky "Frisky" by Sly & The Family Stone, The Isley Brothers-sampling "A Week Ago" by Jay-Z with Too $hort, the Sly Stone-produced "Just A Little" by The Beau Brummels, the mournful Basement Tape outtake "Banks Of The Red Canal" by Bob Dylan & The Band, Donny Hathaway's studio version of the Leon Russell standard "A Song For You" and My Bloody Valentine's dream-like "To Here Knows When".

So Cruel                                                           Depeche Mode
La-La (Means I Love You)                              The Jackson 5
Straight Jacket                                                  The Beatnuts
We're Just Trying To Make It                          The Persuaders
N.I.G.G.E.R. (The Slave And The Master)     Nas
Solo Te Solo Me Solo Noi                               Stevie Wonder
La-La (Means I Love You)                              Prince
Frisky                                                               Sly & The Family Stone
A Week Ago                                                    Jay-Z & Too $hort
So Cruel                                                           U2 
La-La (Means I Love You)                              The Delfonics
Just A Little                                                      The Beau Brummels
Banks Of The Royal Canal                              Bob Dylan & The Band
Round-Up Time In Texas                     The Girls Of The Golden West
La-La (Means I Love You)                              Laura Nyro
A Song For You                                              Donny Hathaway
So Cruel (solo acoustic ver)                             U2
To Here Knows When                                     My Bloody Valentine