There were 1,069 songs across my weekly mixes of 2012. Here are my favorite 107 of them.
Bob Dylan's catalog is deep enough that even a rabid fan can find something new. "Ain't Gonna Go To Hell" is a rare live 1980 Toronto performance of a song never recorded in the studio, but a staple of his live Christian-era concerts. Like the contemporaneous Four Tops hit "It's The Same Old Song", which was essentially a rewrite of their hit "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)" "All Day And All Of The Night" by The Kinks is very similar to their previous hit "You Really Got Me". While the latter boasts a superior opening riff, I think "All Day And All Of The Night", with its ascending vocals into the chorus, is a superior song. "Always Together" demonstrates the effortless chemistry between Marcia Griffiths and Bob Andy. Different versions of "And I Love Her" by The Beatles have made these yearly "best ofs", and this obscure cover by The Vibrations is another favorite. I've always enjoyed the lovely and underrated "Babyface" by U2, and only this year deduced it must be about pornography. Patti Smith's version of the Bruce Springsteen-written "Because The Night" was very close to my personal top dozen songs of the year. Depeche Mode's sly "Behind The Wheel" is a hypnotic contemplation of sexual power dynamics. Iggy Pop's "Beside You" is one of my favorite songs of all time, so I was thrilled to track down this rare acoustic version.
"Bird On The Wire" is one of three Leonard Cohen covers to make my best of and one of three Jackie DeShannon songs on here as well. This one shows her more soulful, gospelly side. "Brand New Man With The Master Plan pt. 1" by Prince Geno & The Tailor Mades is one of the very rare 70s soul tracks that make my blog worth checking out. New Order's "Ceremony" appears on a previous best of and this crazy cover by Xiu Xiu is inspired. I'm more partial to later Tom Waits, but "Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis" is one of the peaks of his "booze" period. I could listen to Sammi Smith sing anything, and her version of Steve Goodman's folk standard "City Of New Orleans" is so very stirring. Don Covay also has one of those voices, and "Come See About Me" is him at his simple best. "Crazy For You" by Madonna has more than a nostalgic pull for my 80s youth, it sounds now like a great torch song. "Crown On The Ground" by Sleigh Bells is both the noisiest and most poppy song on here. I included a few versions of "Devil In His Heart" on one 2012 mix, including by The Beatles, but this lilting version by The Donays is my favorite. I feel like I've picked the bones of the brief and brilliant discography of Big Star, so discovering some pre-Big Star Alex Chilton this year was a treat, especially "The EMI Song (Smile For Me)". Kitty Wells' graceful and gritty version of "Forever Young" is one of a few Bob Dylan covers on here. I do not know how "Give The Drummer Some" by Ultramagnetic MCs did not make my top 11 as it was one song I played as much as any this year. Julia Holter's version of Fleetwood Mac's "Gold Dust Woman" is haunting and perfect, sonically different than the original but somehow true to it.
As I did with her for my best of a couple years ago, I've included two versions--the "early" and "later"- of a Billie Holiday standard, this year being "Good Morning Heartache". Hard to pick a favorite between the two. As it wasn't a big hit of theirs, I wasn't familiar with "Got A Feelin'" by The Mamas & The Papas until this year but love how gentle and pretty it sounds. One mix last year included a bunch of versions of the obscure 60s garage rock anthem "Green Fuz", but the original by Randy Alvey & Green Fuz is still my favorite. Schoolly D's "Gucci Time" has such simple but perfect production, a great canvas for his cocky but funny lyrics. "Hadie Brown (My Little Lady)" is by Jimmie Rodgers, but Roy Rogers acquits himself with some pretty good yodeling here. "High On Sunshine" by The Commodores sounds about as great as the title suggests. I got into a big My Bloody Valentine kick this year, and the driving "I Can See It (But I Can't Feel It)" was one of my very favorites. I knew snippets of Willie Hutch's lush "I Choose You" from a sample used by UGK and Andre 300 but now love the whole song as well. Tammy Wynette's "I Don't Wanna Play House" is worth it just for the way her voice rises to the line about teardrops. The singer Washington Phillips recorded, in the late 20s, only 18 songs, 16 of which survive. But they are all worth hearing, especially "I Had A Good Father And Mother". I also love the cover by Will Oldham's Palace Brothers, which inverts the title. "I Still Can't Sleep/ They Cannot Touch Her (Betsy's Theme)" is a main piece of Bernard Herrman's haunting score from the film Taxi Driver, and works as an elegant piece of jazz. I love Cher's stamp on Bob Dylan's "I Want You". "I Went To The House" by Deacon Williams & The Golden Stars is a great piece of gospel soul. I am a huge fan of the late O.V. Wright, and "Into Something (Can't Shake Loose)" marries his tortured vocals to a lush Willie Mitchell production, sounding like Al Green if he hadn't been saved. I love Miles Davis' gorgeous rendition of the old Rodgers & Hart show tune "It Never Entered My Mind", especially for Red Garland's piano. The Stan Getz version on here is also very romantic.
"It's So Nice" is the second Jackie DeShannon song on here and perhaps her best vocal performance of the three on here, very catchy and funky. Terry Callier died in 2012, and his beautiful "Just As Long As We're In Love" is a fitting epitaph. Both the studio and demo versions of George Harrison's "The Light That Has Lighted The World" were new to me this year, and instantly became favorites of the many songs of his I love. The live version of The Clash's "London Calling" is so fierce, and I love how the guitar gets a little breathing room before the lyrics. "Long Live A$AP" is the first song on the debut album by A$AP Rocky and it's a great introduction to a real talent. Joseph Arthur's hushed cover of John Lennon's "Look At Me" rivals the original, and has beautifully ornate production. I've included a remix of L.T.D.'s "Love Ballad" before this year, but feel in love with this song again last fall. This was a big year for Frank Ocean, and while I haven't spent much time with his debut album his "Lovecrimes" from a previous mix tape caught my ear when performed by The Afghan Whigs, and their superior version proves he is every bit the songwriter that he is the singer. "Luck Of Lucien" is one of those overlooked Tribe Called Quest tracks, but I love it's mellow, funky groove. "Ludi" from early 90s duo Dream Warriors, with its island touch, is one of the more unusual hip hop songs I heard this year. There are two covers of Bob Dylan's "Mama, You've Been On My Mind" on here that were also released this year: George Harrison lovely acoustic demo and the simple piano version by Idiot Wind, sounding like a rougher Cat Power. The tense first-person narrative of Pharaohe Monch's "Mayor" is gripping, and at times also funny. Kanye West's "Mercy.1" with Big Sean among others has an insane hook. I love Lee Fields' soulful version of The Rolling Stones' "Moonlight Mile". Milton Wright's "My Old Lady" is sweet and spacey fun. and Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska" had an especially mournful quality in a year marked by school shootings and other insane killing sprees. Richie Rich's "Niggas Done Changed" with 2Pac has a mellow, jazzy vibe balanced against some rather menacing lyrics.
Badfinger's "No Matter What" is such a sweet and catchy song, I was glad to also find the demo version this year as well. The wistful "Now That The Desert Is Blooming" is the third Jackie DeShannon song on here, showcasing a more contemplative side. In all my year of listening to The Velvet Underground, I had never heard the dream-like outtake "Ocean" until this year. The beautifully sad "Oklahoma USA" by The Kinks has perhaps the greatest opening couplet of any song on here. "One Hundred Ways" with James Ingram is more proof to Quincy Jones' understated genius. There is no song more strange on here than Of Montreal's epic "The Past Is A Grotesque Animal". "Property" by The Kinks hovers just outside my favorite dozen songs of the year, an underrated weeper from the 80s era, filled with every period production touch--the drums, mournful synths, but all in service of expertly nuanced break up lyrics. MF Doom's "Rhymes Like Dimes" pointed me to the previously mentioned "One Hundred Ways", which it samples to amusing effect. I was new to the early 80s R &B classic "Risin' To The Top" by Keni Burke, but instantly recognized it as the bed of countless hip hop songs. "Rudderless" by The Lemonheads is a perfect blend of catchy, sunny music with sad, hopeless lyrics and the acoustic version is a revelation as well. Duran Duran's "Save A Prayer" is an underrated gem, full of longing and regret. "Save The Children" by Nice & Smooth was one of my very favorite songs this year, an ugly guitar grafted to an insanely catchy rhyme. "Seems Like" by Skip Mahoney & The Casuals is one of those beautiful and rare soul songs I live to discover.
The epic "Sixteen" by Rick Ross with Andre 3000 is that rare 8 minute track that doesn't feel a minute too long. Carole King's "So Far Away" is such a simple and moving lyric, perfectly produced. I love the Stevie Wonder sample that adds some soul to 2Pac's "So Many Tears". "Some Candy Talking" is an early non-album single by The Jesus & Mary Chain and of course I fell in love with the acoustic version as much as the electric. "Something There Is About You" is an underrated and straightforward Bob Dylan love song. Of all the wonderful versions of the Leon Russell standard "A Song For You", Merry Clayton's might be the prettiest. Ben E. King's "Stand By Me" has nearly as many covers, and I love the percussion and pace of the Sonny & Cher version here. The strained, off-key vocals of Galaxie 500's "Strange" make it an even better song. Camille Yarborough's funky "Take Yo' Praise" is probably best known as a sample, but I prefer it as the full song. "Tonight Reprise (ver 1)" is essentially an acoustic version of Smashing Pumpkins' "Tonight, Tonight" and is every bit as powerful. "Tonight Will Be Fine" is the third of three Leonard Cohen songs on here, and this Flatt & Scruggs version adds a country touch that seems integral to the lyric. The isolated vocal track of "Train In Vain" by The Clash underlines the plaintive nature of Mick Jones' vocal. "Tram #7 To Heaven" is Jens Lekman at his whimsical best. Even more dream-like is Strawberry Switchblade's indescribable "Trees And Flowers", sounding a bit like The Velvet Underground as a child's lullaby. JVC Force's "Trivial Pursuit" has such unique production and sense of humor, it's like a weirder, low budget version of De La Soul. Arnold Blair's "Trying To Get Next To You" is his only single and make me wish he had a bunch of albums to pick through. "We've Got Tonight" by Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band reminds me so much of my childhood, and it's so simple, soulful and stirring. The version of My Bloody Valentine's "When You Sleep" by The Twilight Singers further proves Greg Dulli's genius with covers and the little bit of Bette Midler's "The Rose" at the end is a nice touch. Benjamin Francis Leftwich's version of The Beatles' "With A Little Help From My Friends" is another great cover, to my mind the best version of the song I've heard. Gene Clark's "With Tomorrow" is heartbreaking but hopeful, a song I could listen to over and over again. The Five Stairsteps' "World Of Fantasy" was a favorite of mine years ago when I discovered it on a Chicago soul compilation, and it features a teenaged version of the aforementioned Keni Burke. The obscure "You're So Fine" by the unheralded Dorothy Berry sounds like it would have been a huge Phil Spector hit, soundtracking a movie like Animal House. Instead, it is here.
Ain't Gonna Go To Hell (live) Bob Dylan
All Day And All Of The Night (mono single) The Kinks
Always Together Marcia Griffiths & Bob Andy
And I Love Her The Vibrations
Babyface U2
Because The Night Patti Smith
Behind The Wheel Depeche Mode
Beside You (acoustic ver) Iggy Pop
Bird On The Wire Jackie DeShannon
Brand New Man With The Master Plan pt.1 Prince Geno & The Tailor Mades
Brass Buttons Gram Parsons
Ceremony Xiu Xiu
Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis Tom Waits
City Of New Orleans Sammi Smith
Come See About Me Don Covay
Crazy For You Madonna
Crown On The Ground Sleigh Bells
Devil In His Heart The Donays
The EMI Song (Smile For Me) Alex Chilton
Forever Young Kitty Wells
Funky Dividends Three Times Dope
Give The Drummer Some Ultramagnetic MCs
Gold Dust Woman Julia Holter
Good Morning Heartache (early ver) Billie Holiday
Good Morning Heartache (later ver) Billie Holiday
Got A Feelin' The Mamas & The Papas
Green Fuz Randy Alvey & Green Fuz
Gucci Time Schooly D
Hadie Brown (My Little Lady) Roy Rogers
Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye Roberta Flack
High On Sunshine The Commodores
I Can See It (But I Can't Feel It) My Bloody Valentine
I Choose You Willie Hutch
I Don't Wanna Play House Tammy Wynette
I Had A Good Father And Mother Washington Phillips
I Had A Good Mother And Father The Palace Brothers
I Hear Voices Screamin' Jay Hawkins
I Still Can't Sleep/ They Cannot Touch Her (Betsy's Theme) Bernard Herrman
I Want You Cher
I Went To The House Deacon Williams & The Golden Stars
I'm Drunk & I'm Real High (In The Spirit Of God) Ada Richards
Into Something (Can't Shake Loose) O.V. Wright
It Never Entered My Mind Miles Davis Quintet
It Never Entered My Mind Stan Getz
It's So Nice Jackie DeShannon
Just As Long As We're In Love Terry Callier
The Light That Has Lighted The World George Harrison
The Light That Has Lighted The World (demo) George Harrison
London Calling (live) The Clash
Long Live A$AP A$AP Rocky
Look At Me Joseph Arthur
Love Ballad L.T.D.
Lovecrimes The Afghan Whigs
Luck Of Lucien A Tribe Called Quest
Ludi Dream Warriors
Mama You've Been On My Mind (demo) George Harrison
Mama, You've Been On My Mind Idiot Wind
Mayor Pharaohe Monch
Mercy.1 Kanye West, Big Sean, Pusha T & 2 Chainz
The Money Will Roll Right In Fang
Moonlight Mile Lee Fields
Moonlight Serenade Glenn Miller
My Old Lady Milton Wright
Nebraska Bruce Springsteen
New God Flow.1 Kanye West, Pusha T & Ghostface Killah
Niggas Done Changed Richie Rich ft. 2Pac
No Matter What Badfinger
No Matter What (demo) Badfinger
Now That The Desert Is Blooming Jackie DeShannon
Ocean The Velvet Underground
Oklahoma USA The Kinks
One Hundred Ways Quincy Jones ft. James Ingram
The Past Is A Grotesque Animal Of Montreal
Property The Kinks
Reagan Killer Mike
Rhymes Like Dimes MF Doom ft. DJ Cucumber Slice
Risin' To The Top Keni Burke
Rudderless The Lemonheads
Rudderless (demo) The Lemonheads
Save A Prayer Duran Duran
Save The Children Nice & Smooth
Seems Like Skip Mahoney & The Casuals
Sixteen Rick Ross ft. Andre 3000
So Far Away Carole King
So Many Tears 2Pac
Some Candy Talking The Jesus & Mary Chain
Some Candy Talking (acoustic Peel session) The Jesus & Mary Chain
Something There Is About You Bob Dylan
A Song For You Merry Clayton
Stand By Me Sonny & Cher
Strange Galaxie 500
Take Yo' Praise Camille Yarborough
Tonight Reprise (ver 1) Smashing Pumpkins
Tonight Will Be Fine Flatt & Scruggs
Train In Vain (vocals) The Clash
Tram #7 To Heaven Jens Lekman
Trees And Flowers Dum Dum Girls
Tress And Flowers (extended mix) Strawberry Switchblade
Trivial Pursuit JVC Force
Trying To Get Next To You Arnold Blair
We've Got Tonight Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
When You Sleep My Bloody Valentine
When You Sleep The Twilight Singers
With A Little Help From My Friends Benjamin Leftwich
With Tomorrow Gene Clark
World Of Fantasy The Five Stairsteps
You're So Fine Dorothy Berry