"I Love How You Love Me" was a hit single for The Paris Sisters in 1961 and the first of many elaborately produced hits for producer Phil Spector. This week features subsequent versions by Bryan Ferry and Glen Campbell as well as the original.
"I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" was originally recorded by Dee Dee Warwick in 1966, but was a much bigger hit when recorded by The Supremes with The Temptations in 1969. Previous mixes included an altenrate version of that hit with a spoken word intor as well as a live version by Diana Ross and Stevie Wonder. This week features the Warwick original as well as versions by The Chi-Lites and Candi Staton.
The one other song that repeats this week is "Liza Radley" both the demo version and the official 1980 b-side by The Jam.
The rest: Mos Def's sweeping "Life In Marvelous Times", a demo version of 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins, Roy Ayers' soundtrack piece "Making Love", Mobb Deep's menacing "What's Ya Poison" with Cormega, the hushed "Let Me Stay Awhile" by Bergen White, the fierce "God Is Mad With Man" by Rev, T.E. Weems, Pusha T's cocky "Numbers On The Boards", the heavy "My Friend Jack" by The Smoke, the blissful "Melissa" by The Allman Brothers, Tim Mais' utopian "Brother Father Sister Mother", J.J. Barnes' soulful "Got To Get Rid Of You", Van Morrison's spiritual "It's All Right" Frank Sinatra's jaunty cover of Stevie Wonder's "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life", Sun Ra's regal "Ancient Aiethopia" and Randy Newman's non-album demo "Something To Sing About".
Life In Marvelous Times Mos Def
1979 (Sadlands demo) Smashing Pumpkins
I Love How You Love Me Bryan Ferry
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me The Chi-Lites
Making Love Roy Ayers
What's Ya Poison Mobb Deep ft. Cormega
Let Me Stay Awhile Bergen White
Liza Radley The Jam
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me Dee Dee Warwick
I Love How You Love Me The Paris Sisters
God Is Mad With Man Rev. T. E. Weems
Numbers On The Boards Pusha T
My Friend Jack The Smoke
Melissa The Allman Brothers
I Love How You Love Me Glen Campbell
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me Candi Staton
Brother Father Sister Mother Tim Maia
Got To Get Rid Of You J.J. Barnes
Liza Radley (demo ver) The Jam
It's All Right Van Morrison
You Are The Sunshine Of My Life Frank Sinatra
Ancient Aiethopia Sun Ra
Something To Sing About (demo) Randy Newman