Wednesday, June 24, 2015

06-27-13: I Ran My Eyes Across Her As She Sang A Tangled Mime

"We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye" is a relatively obscure Tin Pan Alley standard written by Harry M. Woods, a violent alcoholic who nevertheless wrote more popular and equally tender songs like "Try A Little Tenderness".

This week features the former song with versions by The Boswell Sisters, Annette Hanshaw, Frank Sinatra and Maria Muldaur.

"The Poor Side Of Town" was a number one hit for its co-writer Johnny Rivers in November 1966 and features back-up singing by The Blossoms, featuring Darlene Love.

This mix features his original version along with covers by The 5th Dimension, Al Wilson and Eels performing live.

One other song repeats this week: the 1973 Dixieland-jazz-esque pop hit "Last Time I Saw Him" by Diana Ross, with a cover by ill-fated country artist Dottie West.

The rest: a cover of Spiral Starecase's "I Love You More Today Than Yesterday" by Joe Bataan, the graceful "Arabian Lover" by Duke Ellington, the unhinged 50s rockabilly tune "Love Me" by Phantom, Nice & Smooth with some help from Gang Starr on the funky "Down The Line", the low-fi "Interesting Results" by Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Pete Townshend's dramatic "Give Blood", Bjork's sensual "Mouth's Cradle", the 1988 Queen-referencing "Anotha Ho" by JJ Fad, the backing track to Queen's blissful "You're My Best Friend", the early non-album track "Beef Stew" by Nicki Minaj, Jeannie C. Riley's cover of Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind", the country-tinged "Sally G" by Paul McCartney & Wings, Francois Hardy's tender "Les Petits Garcons" and Wayne Cochran's version of the Tim Hardin standard "If I Were A Carpenter".

Poor Side Of Town                                    The 5th Dimension
We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye                  Frank Sinatra
More Today Than Yesterday                     Joe Bataan
Last Time I Saw Him (single ver)              Diana Ross
Love Me                                                     Phantom
Down The Line                                          Nice & Smooth ft. Guru
Interesting Results                                      Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
Give Blood                                                 Pete Townshend
Mouth's Cradle                                           Bjork
We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye                 The Boswell Sisters
Poor Side Of Town                                   Al Wilson
Anotha Ho                                                 JJ Fad
You're My Best Friend (backing track)     Queen
Beef Stew                                                   Nicki Minaj
If You Could Read My Mind                    Jeannie C. Riley
The Poor Side Of Town                            Johnny Rivers
Sally G                                                      Paul McCartney & Wings
Last Time I Saw Him                               Dottie West
We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye                Maria Muldaur
Les Petit Gracons                                      Francois Hardy
If I Were A Carpenter                               Wayne Cochran
Poor Side Of Town (live)                          Eels
We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye                 Annette Hanshaw