Thursday, September 24, 2015

08-15-13: But I Don't Know What To Do

"Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You)" is a song from Stevie Wonder's 1972 album Music Of My Mind. Previous mixes have included versions by Carmen McRae and Quincy Jones. This mix includes covers by Lionel Hampton and Donny Hathaway performing live to accompany the original.

"For No One" is a song from The Beatles album Revolver, from 1966.  This mix includes versions by Caetano Veloso and Emmylou Harris with Davy Spillane as well as the original.

One other song repeats across the mix: two versions of Christopher Cross' "Ride Like The Wind", one by Montana Orchestra and the other by Freddie Hubbard.

The rest: Bing Crosby's live version of the Carole King standard "You've Got A Friend", Fats Walford's playful "Loungin' At The Walfdorf", the aptly-titled "Human Beat Box" by Fat Boys, the confident "I Get The Job Done" by Big Daddy Kane, the boogalo track "Marilu" by George Guzman, Pusha T's drug-themed "Nosetalgia" with Kendrick Lamar, Christopher Cross' mellow "Sailing", the wistful "Can't Get It Out Of My head" by Electric Light Orchestra, a live version of The Leon Russell standard "A Song For You" by Rosemary Clooney and a home demo of "New York's Not My Home" by Jim Croce.

I'd Love To Change The World                                             Ten Years After
You've Got A Friend (live)                                                    Bing Crosby
For No One                                                                            Caetano Veloso
Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You)         Stevie Wonder
Loungin' At The Waldforf                                                      Fats Waller
Human Beat Box                                                                    Fat Boys
Ride Like The Wind                            Montana Orchestra
I Get The Job Done                                                                Big Daddy Kane
Marilu                                                                                     George Guzman
Nosetalgia                                               Pusha T ft. Kendrick Lamar
Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You)    Lionel Hampton
Ride Like The Wind                                                               Freddie Hubbard
Sailing                                                                                     Christopher Cross
Can't Get It Out Of My Head                              Electric Light Orchestra
For No One                                                                The Beatles  
Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You) (live)   Donny Hathaway
A Song For You (live)                                                            Rosemary Clooney
For No One                                     Emmylou Harris w/ Davy Spillane
New York's Not My Home (home demo)                     Jim Croce