Thursday, November 5, 2015

09-05-13: We Tried To Talk It Over But Words Got In The Way

"This Masquerade" was written by Leon Russell and released as the b side to his 1972 hit "Tight Rope". It was the former song that became a standard, and this mix features the full album version of George benson's hit from a few years later as well as covers by Rashaan Roland Kirk and Larry Covin to accompany the original.

"Blues Run The Game" was the signature song from the brief and troubled career of folk singer Jackson C. Frank. There are a few versions floating around, but this mix includes his original album version as well as covers by Simon & Garfunkel, Nick Drake and Headless Heroes.

The Rev. Edward Clayborn was known as "The Guitar Evangelist" and released forty songs between 1926 and 1930. One of those, "Then We'll Need That True Religion", is included here.

"Jack And Jill (Back Up That Hill)" is a rare sequel to Raydio's hit from a few years earlier.

The rest: a cover of The Carpenters' "We've Only Just Begun" by Bing Crosby, the rare 90s soundtrack production "The Rap World" by Pete Rock and Large Professor, the sweet "Since I Met You Baby" by The Avons, the Staples Singer-sampling "I'll Take You There" by Big Daddy Kane, the 50s rocker "Oh Love" by Don Wade, the laid back "Wheelz Of Steel" by Outkast, Brigitte Bardot's blissful "Moi Je Joue", an alternate take to Van MOrrison's "I'll Be Your Lover Too" and Paul McCartney's plaintive "Dear Friend"

We've Only Just Begun                                          Bing Crosby
Jack And Jill (Back Up That Hill) (1982 sequel)       Raydio
The Rap World                                                      Pete Rock & Large Professor
This Masquerade                                                   Rashaan Roland Kirk
Blues Run The Game                                            Jackson C. Frank
Then We'll Need That True Religion                    Rev. Edward Clayborn
Since I Met You Baby                                           The Avons
This Masquerade                                                   Leon Russell
Blues Run The Game                                            Simon & Garfunkel
I'll Take You There                                               Big Daddy Kane
Oh Love                                                                Don Wade
Wheelz Of Steel                                                    Outkast
Moi Je Joue                                                           Brigitte Bardot
This Masquerade                                                  Larry Covin
Blues Run The Game                                           Nick Drake  
I'll Be Your Lover, Too (alt take)                        Van Morrison
Dear Friend                                                          Paul McCartney
This Masquerade                                                 George Benson
Blues Run The Game                                          Headless Heroes