Saturday, April 16, 2016

11-21-13: But He Knows Not What It Means

"In My Room" was written by Brian Wilson for the 1963 Beach Boys album Surfer Girl. This week's mix features a rare German version sung by The Beach Boys with slightly rewritten lyrics, as well as covers by Grant Lee Buffalo and Langley Schools Project to go with the original.

"In Bloom" was a single off Nirvana's 1991 album Nevermind.  This mix features both strings and lullaby versions as well as a recent cover by Sturgill Simpson to go with the original. Simpson's version somewhat inexplicably gets the chorus lyrics wrong.

One other song repeats in the mix: Simon & Garfunkel's "Dangling Conversation", with a cover by Joan Baez as well as the original.

"Un Jeune Homme Bien" is Petula Clark's French version of The Kinks' "A Well Respected Man". Other Kinks-written songs on here also include Peggy Lee's version of "I Go To Sleep" and their rare ballad "And I Will Love You".

The rest: Talbin Kweli's witty Doom collaboration "Fly That Knot", the melodic "Anorak City" by Another Sunny Day,  the Brixton Flavor remix of "Passin' Me By" by The Pharcyde, the 12 inch version of Prince's "Raspberry Beret", the spelling-conscious "B.O.B.B.Y." by RZA alias Bobby Digital, the mellow "Feelin That Feeling's Good" by Minnie Riperton, Marianne Faithfull's version of the traditional ballad "Scarborough Fair",  Charley Patton's raw "Lord I'm Discouraged", Henry Maincini's Pink Panther soundtrack theme "Champagne And Quail", Doris & Kelley's yearning soul ballad "You Don't Have To Worry" and the instrumental demo of Phil Collins' soundtrack theme "Against All Odds".

Un Jeune Homme Bien                                  Petula Clark
In My Room                                                   The Beach Boys
In Bloom                                                        The Tallywood Strings
Fly That Knot                                                 Talib Kweli ft. Doom
Anorak City                                                   Another Sunny Day
The Dangling Conversation                           Simon & Garfunkel
In My Room                                                   Grant Lee Buffalo
In Bloom                                                         Nirvana
Passin' Me By (Brixton Flavor remix)          The Pharcycde
Raspberry Beret (12' mix)                             Prince
B.O.B.B.Y.                                                    RZA
Feelin' That Feeling's Good                          Minnie Riperton
Scarborough Fair                                          Marianne Faithfull
Dangling Conversation                                Joan Baez
Lord I'm Discouraged                                  Charley Patton
In Bloom                                                      Sturgill Simpson
In My Room (German ver)                          The Beach Boys
Champagne And Quail                               Henry Mancini & His Orchestra
And I Will Love You                                  The Kinks
You Don't Have To Worry                          Doris & Kelley
In My Room                                               The Langley Schools Project
Against All Odds (demo)                           Phil Collins
I Go To Sleep                                             Peggy Lee