Tuesday, April 26, 2016

11-28-13: What I Learn From Others I'll Teach To You Too

"The Soul Of Man" is one of 29 songs recorded in the late 1920s during the brief but influential career of Blind Willie Johnson. This mix features recent covers by Tom Waits and Eric Burdon to accompany the original.

"Lithium" was the third single from Nirvana's 1991 debut album Nevermind. It was a much bigger hit in England than it was in The United States. A previous mix included an acoustic demo. This mix features the original rough full band version and a live version performed in Reading, England as well as the album version.

One other song repeats this week: Hank Williams' "Calling You" was recorded at his very first recording session in 1946. This mix has an undated demo as well as that recording.

The rest: Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five's sample-heavy pastiche "The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash And The Wheels Of Steel", LL Cool J's aggressive "Mama Said Knock You Out", the sermonizing "Modernization" by Sons Of The Kingdom, Louis Armstrong & The Hot Five brisk "Sunset Cafe Stomp", Kendrick Lamar's jazzy "Untitled 5 | 09.21.14", The Boswell Sisters' sly "I'm In Training For You", the early Jimi Hendrix track "(My Girl) She's A Fox" with The Icemen, Mel & Tim's mellow "Keep The Faith", The Spinners' slinky "He'll Never Love You Like I Love You", Wilson Pickett's version of the Bobby Hebb standard "Sunny", a live cover of Prince's "I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man" by The Replacements, a live cover of The Loving Spoonful's "Didn't Want To Have To Do It" by Peggy Lee and a live version of "Sometimes It Snows In April" by Prince.

The Adventures Of Grandmaster Flash And The Wheels Of Steel          Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
Lithium                                                                        Nirvana
Mama Said Knock You Out                                        LL Cool J
The Soul Of A Man                                                     Tom Waits
Modernization                                                             Sons Of The Kingdom
Sunset Cafe Stomp                            Louis Armstrong & The Hot Five
Untitled 5 | 09.21.14                                                    Kendrick Lamar
I'm In Training For You                                              The Boswell Sisters
(My Girl) She's A Fox                                 The Icemen ft. Jimi Hendrix
Lithium (start studio session ver)                                Nirvana
Calling You                                                                 Hank Williams
Soul Of A Man                                                            Eric Burdon
Keep The Faith                                                            Mel & Tim
He'll Never Love You Like I Do                                The Spinners
Sunny                                                                          Wilson Pickett
The Soul Of A Man                                                     Blind Willie Johnson
Calling You (Montgomery demo)                              Hank Williams
I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man (live)       The Replacements
Lithium (live)                                                               Nirvana
Didn't Want To Have To Do It (live)                           Peggy Lee
Sometimes It Snows In April (live)                             Prince