Saturday, November 4, 2017

08-28-14: Treating Me Like I'm For Sale

"Mother Nature's Son" is a Beatles song from their 1968 eponymous double album commonly referred to as "The White Album". It was written by Paul McCartney, who plays every instrument. Previous mixes have included a demo version and a cover by Harry Nilsson. This mix includes the album version as well as covers by Ramsey Lewis, Neville Skelly and Helen Merrill.

"Some Guys Have All The Luck" was a top 40 hit for The Persuaders in 1973. It has appeared on a previous mix. This mix has the other top 40 version, Rod Stewart's top ten hit from 1984, as well as versions by Camera Obscura, Inner Circle and Bette Bright's new wave version with reversed genders.

One other song repeats this week: Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders' 1967 single "I Want Her, She Wants Me" written by Rod Argent of The Zombies, whose version is also here.

"I Thought I Could" is a remix of Nas' "I Know I Can" by Abstrakt Soundz.

"I'm Your Captain (Closer To Home)" by Grand Funk Railroad was thought to be about the Vietnam war and was popular with soldiers at the time.

The rest: Kamasai Washington's John Coltrane-esque "Change Of The Guard", 1980 funk single "Love Rescue" by Project, the DJ Premier-produced "The Enemy" by Big L with Fat Joe, the Timbaland-produced "Big Pimpin'" by Jay-Z with UGK and Eunice Collins' explicit "At The Hotel".

Change Of The Guard                                         Kamasi Washington
Mother Nature's Son                                            Ramsey Lewis
Some Guys Have All The Luck                          Inner Circle
I Thought I Could                                               Abstrakt Soundz & Nas
Love Rescue (12" ver)                                        Project
The Enemy                                                          Big L
Some Girls Have All The Luck                          Bette Bright
Mother Nature's Son                                           Neville Skelly
I Want Her She Wants Me                Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders
Big Pimpin'                                                         Jay-Z ft. UGK
Some Guys Have All The Luck                         Rod Stewart
At The Hotel                                                       Eunice Collins
Mother Nature's Son                                           The Beatles
I Want Her She Wants Me                                   The Zombies
Some Guys Have All The Luck                          Camera Obscura
Mother Nature's Son                                           Helen Merrill
I'm Your Captain (Closer To Home)                   Grand Funk Railroad