"Standing In The Shadows Of Love" is a Motown hit single from 1966 by The Four Tops. This mix, number 603 in this series, features the original and covers by The Jackson 5 from their 1969 debut album, Rod Stewart from 1978 and Barry White from 1973. John Cougar Mellencamp's 1985 single "Lonely Ol' Night" quotes from the song.
"Teen Angel" is a 1968 b-side by Donovan featured here along with more recent covers by Dean & Britta, Great Lakes and Sharon Van Etten.
One other song repeats here: the 1939 standard "I Thought About You" recorded by Teddy Grace that year and Billie Holiday 15 years later.
The version of Sly & The Family Stone's "Family Affair" here is a recent remix by Studio Rio.
The rest: a gender-flipped cover of The Beatles' "And I Love Her" by Julie London, Gia Margaret's ethereal "Smoke", the Kanye West-produced and Slick Rick and Richard Pryror-sampling "Cop Shot The Kid" by Nas with Kayne on vocals as well, the fierce "They School" by Dead Prez, the sweet "Finally Made It Home" by Arnold Blair, the odd "The Devil, My Conscience And I" by Billy Barton, the jazzy "Sure Shot" by The Slum Brothers, the droll "Mary Jane's Last Dance" by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, the sneering "Television Addict" by The Victims and Funk Inc.'s hopeful "Let's Make Peace And Stop The War".
I Thought About You Teddy Grace
And I Love Him Julie London
Family Affair Studio Rio & Sly & The Family Stone
Standing In the Shadows Of Love The Jackson 5
Teen Angel Donovan
Smoke Gia Margaret
Cop Shot The Kid Nas ft. Kanye West
Standing In The Shadows Of Love The Four Tops
They School Dead Prez
Finally Made It Home Arnold Blair
Standing In The Shadows Of Love Rod Stewart
Lonely Ol' Night John Cougar Mellencamp
The Devil, My Conscience And I Billy Barton
Teen Angel Great Lakes
Standing In The Shadows Of Love Barry White
Sure Shot The Slum Brothers
Teen Angel Dean & Britta
Mary Jane's Last Dance Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Television Addict The Victims
Let's Make Peace And Stop The War Funk Inc.
Teen Angel Sharon Van Etten
I Thought About You Billie Holiday