Tuesday, August 20, 2019

04-02-15: And Liberty Is Just A Lie

"Sometimes I'm Happy" is a standard written by Irving Caesar in 1927. This mix features versions by Anita O'Day in 1947, Sarah Vaughan in 1955, Dinah Washington in 1956, Billie Holiday in one of her last recordings in 1959 and Carmen McRae's live version in 1965 at the Village Gate.

"I Can't Be Satisfied" is a Muddy Waters hit from 1948. A previous mix included this version and an early cover by The Rolling Stones. This week features Waters' early original version from 1941 when he recorded under his birth name McKinley Morganfield, a 1968 cover by Backwards Sam Firk and a 2011 cover by Gregg Allman.

One other song repeats this week: The Clash's "Ivan Meets G.I. Joe" from their 1981 triple album Sandinista! with a recent countrified cover by Jason Ringenberg and Kristi Rose.

The rest: the blissful "Kiss Kiss Kiss" by Martina Topley-Bird, the dreamy "O Heaven" by Blu & Exile, the humble "I'm Just An Average Guy" by The Masqueraders, the vain "Took His Time" by Lil Wayne, Tommie Bradley's version of the defiant standard "Nobody's Business If I Do", Coleman Hawkins' lush version of the standard "Have You Met Miss Jones?", Prince's original version of the hit he wrote for Sheila E called "The Glamorous Life", Caribou's percussive "Odessa", Roy Hargove's  jazzy collaboration with Q-Tip and Erykah Badu called "Poetry", the spooky "Hawk" by Bill Haley & The Comets, Jose Feliciano's cover of The Mamas & The Papas "California Dreamin'", an early live version of Neil Young's "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and a live version of "Unsatisfied" by The Replacements with slightly different lyrics.

Sometimes I'm Happy (live)                            Carmen McRae
Kiss Kiss Kiss                                                  Martina Topley-Bird
O Heaven                                                         Blu & Exile
Sometimes I'm Happy           Anita O'Day w/ Alvy and His Little Band
I'm Just An Average Guy                              The Masqueraders
Took His Time                                                 Lil Wayne
Nobody's Business If I Do                               Tommie Bradley
I Be's Troubled                                                Backwards Sam Firk
Have You Met Miss Jones?                              Coleman Hawkins
Sometimes I'm Happy                                      Dinah Washington
Ivan Meets G.I. Joe                                          The Clash
The Glamorous Life                                         Prince
Odessa                                                              Caribou
Sometimes I'm Happy                                      Sarah Vaughan
Poetry                                Roy Hargrove w/ Q-Tip & Erykah Badu
Ivan Meets G.I. Joe           Jason Ringenberg and Kristi Rose
I Can't Be Satisfied                                           Gregg Allman
Hawk                                                                Bill Haley & The Comets
California Dreamin'                                         Jose Feliciano
Only Love Can Break Your Heart (live)     Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
I Be's Troubled                          McKinley Morganfield (Muddy Waters)
Sometimes I'm Happy                                     Billie Holiday
Unsatisfied (live at Maxwell's 02/02/86)          The Replacements