Wednesday, March 25, 2020

05-21-15: We Vibrated Rock 'N Roll Dreams

"Love's In Need Of Love Today" is the opening track of Stevie Wonder's 1976 album Songs In The Key Of Life. This mix features live versions by John Minnis' Big Bone Band and George Michael as well as the original.

"The Day The World Gets 'Round" is from George Harrison's 1973 album Living In The Material World. This features a version from 2009 by the former Cat Stevens, Yusuf Islam, with former Harrison associate Klaus Voorman.

Covers of Fred Neil's "The Dolphins" by Linda Ronstadt, Al Wilson and Richie Havens have appeared on previous mixes. This mix features Neil's original along with a cover by Beth Orton with Terry Collier.

The rest: the jaunty "Champagne Charlie Is My Name" by Blind Blake, Jay Electronica's recent Jay-Z collaboration "The Neverending Story", Lake Street Dive's cover of George Michael's "Faith", Peter Ivers' odd "You Used To Be Stevie Wonder", Prince's forlorn "So Blue", a mashup of Beatles material with The Notorious B.I.G. on "Lonely Thoughts", Liz Phair's punchy "Help Me Mary", the spiky "Janitor" by Suburban Lawns, Hole's sing-songy "I Think That I Would Die", an alternate version of "Lola" by The Kinks, Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth's percussive "I Get Physical", the smooth "Unwanted Company" by Jeannie Reynolds and a cover of Guns & Roses' "Patience" by Norah Jones with Pete Remm.

Love's In Need Of Love Today (live)       John Minnis' Big Bone Band
The Day The World Gets 'Round             George Harrison
The Dolphins                                            Fred Neil
Champagne Charlie Is My Name             Blind Blake
The Neverending Story                            Jay Electronia w/ Jay-Z
Faith                                                         Lake Street Drive
Love's In Need of Love Today (live)       George Michael
You Used To Be Stevie Wonder              Peter Ivers
So Blue                                                    Prince
Lonely Thoughts               The Notorious B.I.G., The Beatles & Friends
Help Me Mary                                          Liz Phair
Janitor                                                       Suburban Lawns
I Think That I Would Die                         Hole
Lola (alt ver)                                             The Kinks
I Get Physical                                            Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth
Unwanted Company                                  Jeannie Reynolds
Patience                                           Norah Jones & Pete Remm
Love's In Need Of Love Today                 Stevie Wonder
The Day The World Gets 'Round      Yusuf Islam & Klaus Voormann
Dolphins                                            Beth Orton w/Terry Collier