Friday, March 27, 2020

05-28-15: Play It For The Dog That Got No Master

"I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" is a song from the album Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys released in May 1966. The original appears on a previous mix. This mix features an all vocal mix as well as covers by Carmen McRae, Gaz Coombs, Peggy Lipton, Jim James version which samples Isaac Hayes' definitive take of the Jimmy Webb standard "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" and an interpolation by Bullion.

The rest; Paul McCartney's robotic "Temporary Secretary", Thomas Leer's eerie "Private Plane", Donna Summer's hopeful "Our Love", the DJ Premier -produced "Platinum Plus" by Big L with Big Daddy Kane, Outkast's languid "Crumblin' Erb", James Brown's languid "The Boss", Artifacts' James Brown-sampling "Dynamite Soul", Bobbie Bolden's suggestive "Hall Of Shame", the spooky "Terrible Angels" by Coco Rosie, John Cooper Clarke's frantic "Chickentown", Bob Dylan's epic "murder Most Foul" and the dissonant "Answering Machine" by The Replacements


I Just Wasn't Made For These Times (vocals)                The Beach Boys  
Temporary Secretary                                                       Paul McCartney
Private Plane                                                                   Thomas Leer
Our Love                                                                         Donna Summer
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times                              Carmen McRae
Platinum Plus                                                                  Big L w/ Big Daddy Kane
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times                              Bullion
Crumblin' Erb                                                                 Outkast
The Boss                                                                         James Brown
Dynamite Soul                                                                Artifacts
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times                              Gaz Coombs
Hall Of Shame                                                                Bobbie Bolden
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times                              Peggy Lipton
Terrible Angels                                                               Coco Rosie
Evidently Chickentown                                                  John Cooper Clarke
Murder Most Foul                                                           Bob Dylan
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times                              Jim James
Answering Machine                                                       The Replacements