Thursday, June 17, 2010

06-17-10: What Will Be The Point In Being A Fool Again?

The standard "I'm Confessin' (That I Love You)" was written in 1930. This week's mix includes a version from 1937 by Brown's Musical Brownies as well as versions by Dean Martin, Willie Nelson and Thelonious Monk.

The rest: the Latin-tinged "Chico Cuadradino" by Duke Ellington And His Orchestra, the Duke Ellington tribute "Sir Duke" by Stevie Wonder, the gleeful "Arthur" by The Kinks, early Talking Heads outtake "I Feel It In My Heart", Kool Keith alias Dr. Octagon with the aptly titled "Wild And Crazy", the spooky "Slide Her Under The Door" by Moses Longpiece, Dilinger's loopy "Cocaine In My Brain", the sly "Mrs. Officer" by Lil' Wayne with Bobby Valentino, the mellow "Love" by Bob Marley & The Wailers, Aretha Franklin's cover of Bobby Womack's "That's The Way I Feel About Cha", Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti with the oddly retro "Can't Hear My Eyes", Air Supply's dramatic "All Out Of Love", M. Ward's reflective "Eyes On The Prize", a live acoustic version of Paul Weller's cover of Sister Sledge's "Thinking Of You" and a newly recorded live version of Jackson Browne's "Running On Empty" with David Lindley.

I'm Confessin' (That I Love You) Dean Martin