"I Walk On Gilded Splinters" first appeared on Dr. John's 1968 debut album Gris-Gris. This week's features his original along with covers by Cher, Johnny Jenkins and Paul Weller. The Weller version was featured on the television show The Wire, and is followed by another Weller cover with his band The Jam's outtake version of "Rain" by The Beatles. The Jenkins cover was prominently sampled by Beck for "Loser", also here. The Cher cover is one of two songs here with uncredited backing by members of The Allman Brothers, the other a cover of Bob Dylan's "Forever Young" by Kitty Wells.
Two other songs repeat across the mix: Gerry Rafferty's mellow "Right Down The Line" with a recent cover by Bonnie Raitt and My Bloody Valentine's melodic "I Can See It (But I Can't Feel It)" with an acoustic cover by Pas de Printemps pour Marnie.
The rest: the fierce "Reagan" by Killer Mike, the Steve Miller Band-sampling "You're A Customer" by EPMD, the suggestive "They Call Me Sister Honky Tonk" by Mae West, the salacious "Sweet Honey Hole" by Blind Boy Fuller, a cover of Prince's "When Doves Cry" by The Twilight Singers, Prince's racy "Soft And Wet", the early Dr. Dre production "D.O.C. And The Doctor" by The D.O.C. and a cover of Bob Dylan's "Mama, You've Been On My Mind" by Idiot Wind.
I Can See It (But I Can't Feel It) My Bloody Valentine
Reagan Killer Mike
I Walk On Gilded Splinters Dr. John
You're A Customer EPMD
Right Down The Line Gerry Rafferty
I Walk On Gilded Splinters Johnny Jenkins
Loser Beck
They Call Me Sister Honky Tonk Mae West
Sweet Honey Hole Blind Boy Fuller
I Walk On Gilded Splinters Paul Weller
Rain (remixed demo ver) The Jam
When Doves Cry The Twilight Singers
Soft And Wet Prince
D.O.C. And The Doctor The D.O.C.
I Walk On Gilded Splinters Cher
Right Down The Line Bonnie Raitt
Mama, You've Been On My Mind Idiot Wind
Forever Young Kitty Wells
I Can See It (But I Can't Feel It) Pas de Printemps pour Marnie