The entire recorded output of Texas gospel singer Washington Phillips consists of 18 songs recorded from 1927 to 1929. This week's mix features his "I Had A Good Father And Mother" along with slightly different titled covers by Gillian Welch and The Palace Brothers.
"Somethin' Stupid" was written and recorded by Carson and Gaile, a married folk duo, in 1966. It became a hit the following year for Frank Sinatra and his daughter Nancy. This week's mix features covers by The Secret Sisters and Peggy Lee to accompany the original. A previous mix featured a version by Marvin Gaye with Tammi Terrell. This week includes their 1969 hit "Good Lovin' Ain't Easy To Come By". It was the last song they recorded before Terrell died.
One other song repeats across the mix: Bob Dylan's "I'll Remember You", the album version from 1985's Empire Burlesque as well as an acoustic version recorded for the 2003 film Masked & Anonymous.
The rest: a rough early version of Rod Stewart's hit "Maggie Mae", a demo version of Heart's "Magic Man", Cat Power's gentle "Maybe Not", the catchy "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" by The Four Lads,
a cover of Cat Stevens' "The First Cut Is The Deepest" by The Koobas, Jay-Z's cocky "Imaginary Player", the Four Tet production "Money Motivated Moments" by Guilty Simpson, Floyd The Locsmif's atmospheric snippet "Dawn (2 track version)", John Coltrane's intense "Expression", Rhymefest's empathetic "Sister" featuring Mike Payne, the bittersweet last Creedence Clearwater Revival single "Someday Never Comes", the Joni Mitchell lullaby "Morning Morgantown", an acoustic studio version of "You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory" by Johnny Thunders and the mournful "All The Love I Ever Had" by Hank Williams.
Maggie May (early rough) Rod Stewart
Magic Man (demo) Heart
I'll Remember You Bob Dylan
Maybe Not Cat Power
Somethin' Stupid Peggy Lee
I Had A Real Good Mother And Father Gillian Welch
Istanbul (Not Constantinople) The Four Lads
Somethin' Stupid Frank & Nancy Sinatra
Good Lovin' Ain't Easy To Come By Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
The First Cut Is The Deepest The Koobas
Imaginary Player Jay-Z
Money Motivated Movements Guilty Simpson
Dawn (2track ver) Floyd The Locsmith
Expression John Coltrane
Sister Rhymefest ft. Mike Payne
Something Stupid The Secret Sisters
Someday Never Comes Creedence Clearwater Revival
I Had A Good Mother And Father The Palace Brothers
Morning Morgantown Joni Mitchell
I'll Remember You (2003 acoustic ver) Bob Dylan
You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory (studio: acoustic '82) Johnny Thunders
I Had A Good Father And Mother Washington Phillips
All The Love I Ever Had Hank Williams