"Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You)" is the first single from Stevie Wonder's 1972 album Music Of My Mind. From later in the decade, this mix features live covers by Carmen McRae and Donny Hathaway, as well as Quincy Jones' version with Patti Austin on vocals as well as the original.
Donovan's "Wear Your Love Like Heaven" is from his 1967 double album A Gift From A Flower To A Garden. This mix features covers by Peggy Lipton, Eartha Kitt and My Morning Jacket as well as the original.
The mix is bookended with the album and demo versions of Sharon Van Etten's "Serpents".
In the summer of '89, The Replacements opened for Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, with their new single "I"ll Be You", which contained the line "rebel without a clue", which was infamously swapped by Petty for his "Into The Great Wide Open", which is on this mix.
The rest: the cocky "President Carter" by Lil Wayne, a cover of The Winstons' "Color Me Father" by Linda Martell, the pleading "Why Don't You Try Me" by Maurice & Mac, a duet between Jackie Deshannon and her producer on "Sweet Sixteen" Van Morrison, the Hammarabi-inspired "Eye For An Eye (Your Beef Is Mines) by Mobb Deep with Raekwon, a cover of Cat Stevens' "Wild World" by Jose Felicano, a home demo recording of The Beatles' "And I Love Her" by Kurt Cobain, and Pink Floyd's atmospheric "Breathe".
Serpents Sharon Van Etten
Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You) Stevie Wonder
President Carter Lil Wayne
Wear Your Love Like Heaven Peggy Lipton
Color Him Father Linda Martell
Into The Great Wide Open Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
Wake Up (Explicit Reprise In The Sunshine) Brand Nubian
Why Don't You Try Me Maurice & Mac
Sweet Sixteen Jackie DeShannon w/ Van Morrison
Wear Your Love Like Heaven Donovan
Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You) (live) Carmen McRae
Eye For An Eye (Your Beef Is Mines) Mobb Deep ft/ Raekown
Wild World Jose Feliciano
Wear Your Love Like Heaven Eartha Kitt
Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You) (live) Donny Hathaway
And I Love Her (home demo) Kurt Cobain
Breathe Pink Floyd
Wear Your Love Like Heaven My Morning Jacket
Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You) Quincy Jones ft. Patti Austin
Serpents (demo) Sharon Van Etten