Sunday, May 31, 2015

06-13-13: Caught A Glance In Your Eyes And Fell Through The Skies

"Bad, Bad Leroy Brown", released as a single in July 1973, was Jim Croce's last number one ht while he was alive. This mix features a home demo and a cover by Frank Sinatra as well as the original.

"Nightime" by Big Star was recorded in 1974 for the aborted album Third, but never released until years later. A previous mix featured the original, this week features a demo version as well as covers by The Afghan Whigs and Epic Soundtracks.

One other song repeats on the mix: Dr. John's 1973 hit "Such A Night", with a 1974 cover by Esther Phillips.

Mary Travers' cover of Jim Croce's "I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song" has never been released on CD, let alone on any "streaming" services. The version from her 1977 album that appears here is copied from an 8 track, complete with a brief interruption in the middle of the song that was common to songs on 8 track cassettes as the song "turned over" to another side.

The rest: a Tom Moulton remix of William DeVaughn's "Be Thankful For What You Got", Pete Rock's jazzy "Back On The Block" with C.L. Smooth, Jackie Moore's cover of Stevie Wonder's "I Love Every Little Thing About You", the forlorn "I'm Nobody's Baby Now" by Reparata And The Delrons, the chipper "Bongo Red" by The Gladiators, the swampy "She's A Fool, She Ain't Got No Sense" by Emmett Murray, the bluesy "I Ain't Puttin Out" by the delightfully-named Star Page The Tuneful Tramp, the proto-rap single "Feel The Heartbeat" by The Treacherous Three, the funky "Haboglabotribin'" by Bernard Wright, the Snoop Dogg debut album track "Gz And Hustlas" that samples the previous track, Wally Lewis' catchy "Kathleen", a rare home recording of Jim Croce's cover of Merle Haggard's "Mama Tried" and an instrumental mix of Led Zeppelin's "Going To California".

Be Thankful For What You Got (Tom Moulton remix)                          William DeVaughn
Back On the Block                                            Pete Rock ft. C.L. Smooth
Bad, Bad Leroy Brown                                                            Jim Croce
I Love Every Little Thing About You                                      Jackie Moore
Nightime                                                                                   The Afghan Whigs
I'm Nobody's Baby Now                  Reparata And The Delrons (with Hash Brown and His Orchestra)
Bongo Red                                                               The Gladiators
She's A Fool, She Ain't Got No Sense                   Emmett Murray
Bad, Bad Leroy Brown  (home demo)                   Jim Croce
Nighttime                                                                Epic Soundtracks  
I Ain't Puttin' Out                           Star Page The Tuneful Tramp 
Such A Night                                                         Esther Phillips
Bad, Bad Leroy Brown                                         Frank Sinatra
Feel The Heartbeat                                                The Treacherous Three
Haboglabotribin'                                                    Bernard Wright
Gz And Hustlas                                                     Snoop Dogg
Such A Night                                                         Dr. John
Kathleen                                                                Wally Lewis
Mama Tried                                                           Jim Croce
I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song              Mary Tarvers
Nightime (demo)                                                   Big Star
Going To California (mandolin/guitar mix)          Led Zeppelin