Sunday, December 27, 2009

12-27-07: I Have Seen What I Choose And I've Seen What I Need

This mix from a couple years ago features the music of Marvin Gaye, with a rare a cappella version of "Pretty Little Baby", an alternate mix of "I Met A Little Girl" from his divorce album and a lush version of a standard most associatred with Nat King Cole called "Too Young".

Also featured on here are two versions of "Here Comes My Baby": the original by Cat Stevens and a cover by Elizabeth Mitchell. Also on here twice is "I've Seen It All": both the original duest by Bjork with Thom Yorke as well asa cover by Bonnie 'Prince' Billy.

Other stuff: the Barry White-sampling "The Watch" by Ghostface Killah with Raewkon, the anguished "How Soon Is Now" by The Smiths, W.A.S.P.'s explicit "Animal (Fuck Like A Beast)", Run-D.M.C.'s witty "It's Tricky", Method Man's expository "Party Crasher", the languid "Two Sevens Clash" by Culture, DJ Jazzy Jeff's remix of the loping "Top Ten List" by Masta Ace, the dramatic "Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)" by Phil Collins, an acoustic medley of Prince's "When Doves Cry" with the folk standard "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" by Damien Rice, the defiant "Ride On, Baby" by The Rolling Stones, Lispector's ethereal "Peachtree Street", an acosutic version of Amy Winehouse's "Love Is A Losing Game", a version of Jimmy Webb's standard "Wichita Lineman" by Smokey Robinson And The Miracles, Johnny Cash's version of the standard "Time Changes Everything" and Bob Dylan's parable "The Ballad Of Frankie Lee And Judas Priest".

Pretty Little Baby (a cappella) Marvin Gaye