Wednesday, September 19, 2012

04-26-12: I Long So Much To Be Where I Was Before I Was Me

"Return Of The Rat" is the opening track of the 1980 debut album by The Wipers. This week's mix includes covers by The Mono Men and Nirvana as well as the original.

"Alphabet Street" was the first single from Prince's 1988 album Lovesexy.  Also included on this week's mix are covers by The Jesus & Mary Chain and Blue States.

"The Eternal" is a Joy Division song from their second and final album Closer released in 1980, appearing on here with a cover by Grant-Lee Phillips.

One other song repeats on the mix: George Harrison's "The Light That Has Lighted The World", the album and demo version.

The rest: Madlib alter ego Quasimoto's languid "Bluffin", the crazed "I Hear Voices" by Screamin' Jay Hawkins, the steel drum-accented "Uh-Oh, Love Comes To Town" by Talking Heads, Bjork's giddy "My Spine", the funereal "Summer's Almost Gone" by The Doors, the forlorn "Wait For Me" by Brothers Of Soul, the spacey "Keep It Up" by Milton Wright, the sample-heavy "Trivial Pursuit" by JVC Force, Fats Waller's cranky "You Run Your Mouth, I'll Run My Business", the cautionary "Tales From The Crackside" by K-Solo, the mellow "Reasons" by Earth, Wind & Fire and a cover of George Harrison's "I'd Have You Anytime" by Ralfi Pagan.

The Eternal                                                      Joy Division
The Light That Has Lighted The World         George Harrison
Bluffin                                                             Quasimoto
I Hear Voices                                                  Screamin' Jay Hawkins
Return Of The Rat                                          The Mono Men
Alphabet Street                                               The Jesus & Mary Chain
Uh-Oh, Love Comes To Town                      Talking Heads
My Spine                                                         Bjork
Summer's Almost Gone                                  The Doors
Wait For Me                                                   Brothers Of Soul
Keep It Up                                                      Milton Wright
Alphabet Street                                               Prince
Trivial Pursuit                                                 JVC Force
You Run Your Mouth, I'll Run My Business               Fats Waller
Return Of The Rat                                          Nirvana
Tales From The Crackside                             K-Solo
Reasons                                                         Earth, Wind & Fire
Alphabet Street                                              Blue States
I'd Have You Anytime                                  Ralfi Pagan
Return Of The Rat                                        Wipers
The Eternal                                                   Grant-Lee Phillips
The Light That Has Lighted The World (demo)        George Harrison