Saturday, September 5, 2009

09-03-09: I Wasn't There When He Hurt You So Why Should I Have To Pay?

"Take Five" is the most famous track from the landmark Dave Brubeck Quartet album Time Out.  It was my first jazz album and probably the first jazz album for many, many others.

"Take Five" was written by Brubeck's saxophonist Paul Desmond and, interestingly, a few years later Brubeck and his wife added lyrics to it.  On this week's mix I have two live versions with the lyrics: Carmen McRae wth her Trio and a version by a scatting Al Jarreau.  Additionally, I've included the original as well as covers by Tito Puente and jazz guitarist Davy Graham.

The other song featured this week is the lovely "Let Me In Your Life", written by Bill Withers. I've included the original as well as covers by Aretha Franklin and Esther Phillips.

Other stuff:  the anti-advertising screed "Koka Kola" by The Clash, a Chad Jay remix of "As The Rhyme Goes On" by Eric B. & Rakim, the droll "The Girls In My Life" by Randy Newman, the upbeat "Let's Organize" by Organized Konfusion with Q-Tip, the hit cover of Shuggie Otis' "Strawberry Letter 23" by The Brothers Johnson, Bettye Crutcher's soulful  "So Lonely Without You", the hypnotic "Time" by Pink Floyd, the other-worldly "3000" by Dr. Octagon, Bascom Lamar Lunsford's spiritual "Dry Bones", the peaceful "There's No Room In My Heart For The Blues" by Hank Williams, a gorgeous cover of  The Beatles' "Because" by Martin John Henry and Nirvana's haunting "All Apologies".

Koka Kola The Clash