Tuesday, September 22, 2009

09-15-05: You Were All I Ever Wanted To Do

It was a bigger hit for Rod Stewart, among others, but "The First Cut Is The Deepest" was written by a young Cat Stevens. His version leads this mix from four years ago, which also includes a cover by Norma Fraser.

The other song repeating this week is the old standard "Comin' 'Round The Montain": in two very different renditions by Funkadelic and Bob Dylan with The Band.

Other stuff: The Constantines covering Elevator To Hell's "Why I Didn't Like August '93", Billy Squier's punchy "Lonely Is The Night", a funky live cover of The Beatles' Hey Jude" by the Overton Berry Trio, Johnny Cash's game cover of Ray Charles' "What'd I Say", the reggae-inflected "Bring On The Night" by The Police, Blondie's cover of The Paragons' "Tide Is High", Ron Sexsmith's cover of The Kinks' "This Is Where I Belong", Steely Dan's jazzy "Rikki Don't Lose That Number", Richie Havens' cover of Steely Dan's "Do It Again", a live bootleg version of "Simple Twist OF Fate" by Bob Dylan, Bettye Swann's plaintive "Cover Me", Prince's wistful "When You Were Mine", Take 2 of the joyous "Ring Dem Bells" by Duke Ellington", Brand Nubian's playful "Brand Nubian", RZA's celebratory "N.Y.C. Everything" with Method Man, the sweet "Maybe So, Maybe No" by The New Holidays, the sly "Raw Addict Pt. 2" by Quasimoto, and Mama Cass Elliott's breezy take of the standard "Easy Come, Easy Go".

The First Cut Is The Deepest Cat Stevens