Looking back as I archive six years of music mixes onto this blog this year I have to say that this mix from last year had to be one of the best.
Any mix that features the music of Randy Newman is off to a good start. Here I have three different versions of his devastating slave trade tale "Sail Away": the original along with covers by Etta James and Ray Charles. Also on here is his witty "The Beehive State" and his moving "Losing You".
Also featured on here are versions of the standard "Memories Of You" by Clifford Brown, Anita O'Day and Duke Ellington with Dick Robertson's vocal. Additionally, I have two versions by Louis Armstrong from many years apart.
Other stuff: MF Grimm's scathing "I Rather Be Wrong", Stevie Nicks' forceful "Violet And Blue", Carl Carlton's disco-inflected cover of Robert Knight's "Everlasting Love", Stevie Wonder's jazzy "Do I Do" featuring a cameo by Dizzie Gillespie, Lupe Fiasco's uplifting "Hip Hop Saved My Life" featuring Nikkie Jean, a live version of "It Ain't Me, Babe" by Bob Dylan & The Rolling Thunder Revue, Gram Parsons duetting with Emmylou Harris on the bittersweet "Hearts On Fire", the country-inflected "Torn & Frayed" by The Rolling Stones, Hank Williams singing the Wesley Tuttle hit "With Tears In My Eyes" and the gorgeous "Turquoise" by Donovan.