Tuesday, September 29, 2009

09-20-07: I Knew It Was That Bullshit About You Being A Friend

This mix from a couple years ago features Marvin Gaye: his hit duet with Tammi Terrell on "Ain't No Mountain High Enough", a live version of his "Come Get To This" complete with audience screaming, and the rare "I Love You Secretly (aka My Last Chance)".

Other stuff: the turn of the 20th century recording "God Save The King" by The National Military Band with Peter Dawson, the anthemic "God Save The Queen" by The Sex Pistols, Led Zeppelin's heavy riffing on "In The Evening", the tribal "Land Of 100o Dances" by Cannibal & The Headhunters, a Bill Withers-sampling remix of "Wreckonize" by Smif-N-Wesun, the scared singing of "Holy Babe" by Kelly Pace and Aaron Brown with Joe Green and Paul Hayes and Matthew Johnson, Richie Havens' cover of "Band On The Run" by Paul McCartney & Wings, the funky "Gat Gato" by Gat Barbieri, Bill Withers' romantic "Just The Two Of Us" with Grover Washington Jr., the defiant "Left Right" by The Chemical Brothers featuring Anwar Superstar, the sax-driven "I'm Shakin'" by Little Willie John, the sly and odd "Why?" by Sadat X, Hank Williams' forlorn "Cold, Cold Heart", a cover of The Rolling Stones' "Angie" by The Stereophonics, the reflective "If I'm On The Late Side" by The Faces,  Al Green's blissful "So Good To Be Here", The Harmonizing Four with the standard "Motherless Child" and a Rockabye Baby version of The Cure's "Close To Me".

Ain't No Mountain High Enough Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell