Sunday, September 13, 2009

09-08-05: I'm Like A Dog To Get You

Sonny Rollins' live recording of the standard "Without A Song" on this mix from a few years ago was performed just days after the 9/11 attacks and is preceded by a moving and understated introduction by Rollins to the audience.  I've also included a version of that standard by Ray Charles.

Other stuff: the breathless "I've Just Seen A Face" by The Beatles, Chocolate Snow's funky instrumental cover of "A Day In The Life" by The Beatles, take 2 of Duke Ellington's playful "Sweet Jazz O' Mine", Cheap Trick's assertive "How Are You", Viktor Vaughn's witty "the Drop", Raymond Scott's vintage "Hostess Twinkies" jingle, Nirvana's Beatlesque "About A Girl", the joyful "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl" by The Looking Glass, Macy Gray's romantic "I Try", a fierce a cappella version of "My Adidas" by Run-D.M.C., N.O.R.E.'s Neptunes-rpoduced "Put 'Em Up" with Pharrell, M.I.A.'s Diplo-produced "Fire Bam", another Raymond Scott jingle for Sprite called "Melonball Bounce", Goldfrapp's sensuous "Number 1", David Ruffin's cover of Frederick Knight's "Everlasting Love", Johnny Cash's cover of Richard Farina's "Pack Up Your Sorrows", an alternate take of Bob Dylan's "She Belongs To Me", Joan Baez's cover of The Rolling Stones' "No Expectations", and Marlene Dietrich's soundtrack song from The Blue Angel called "Ich Bin Von Kopf Bis FuB Auf Liebe Eingestellt".

I've Just Seen A Face The Beatles