This week's mix features Carole King's haunting hit "It's Too Late". I was surprised to find out that in six years of weekly mixes I hadn't used it before. I was even more surprised to discover how many great cover versions of this song that I already had. From those, I've included renditions by Issac Hayes, Noel Brown Bunny, The Isley Brothers and Billy Paul. Hard to pick a favorite among those.
Mary Travers of Peter, Paul & Mary passed away earlier in the week so I had to end the mix with their version of Pete Seeger's "If I Had A Hammer". That's preceded by Woody Guthrie's "I'm Gonna Join That One Big Union", which is preceded by a very rare 1970 version of Bob Dylan's "Song To Woody".
Other stuff: a great alternate version of Marvin Gaye's funky non-album track "You're The Man", a mash up of Radiohead and Jay-Z called "No Karma" by Jaydiohead, a cover of The Rolling Stones' "Beast Of Burden" by The Holmes Brothers, a Pete Rock remix of "Jussumen" by Das EFX, Coco Rosie's eerie "Maddona", Sandy Posey's petulant "I Take It Back", David Bowie's cover of "Cactus" by The Pixies, the catchy "You're All I've Got Tonight" by The Cars, A Tribe Called Quest's provocative "What?", and the bass-driven "Power" by The Temptations.